MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Mobil refinery to be free of heritage protection

Mobil refinery to be free of heritage protection

Hobsons Bay council has voted to remove heritage protection from Mobil’s Altona refinery, which paves the way for the downing of a 76-metre catalytic cracking unit that was once the tallest structure in Melbourne.

The refinery was used to produce lubricants and bitumen from 1949, and became one of Australia’s main petroleum fuel plants in 1954.

The Altona refinery expansion project, including the installation of the “cracker”, involved 2200 workers, cost 20 million pounds, took 22 months to complete and was opened by Prime Minister Robert Menzies in 1955.

The council last week voted to ask the state planning minister to amend its planning scheme to remove a heritage overlay on the site.

The overlay meant Mobil had to apply for a planning permit for all buildings and works, including demolition and new buildings, even routine maintenance and repairs.

When the heritage overlay was introduced in 2003, its aim was to identify circumstances that didn’t require a permit. However, this never happened.

Mobil spokeswoman Melanie Saliba said removal of the overlay would cut red tape.

“The heritage overlay currently adds an administrative burden to both Mobil and Hobsons Bay council,” she said.

“Mobil … has an ongoing program of works to demolish and remove redundant buildings and infrastructure on site.

“The refinery’s thermofor catalytic cracker, which operated from 1955 to 1997, is likely to be considered as part of this program of works sometime in the future.”

An industrial heritage consultant will document the history of the refinery site.

Digital Editions


  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence…

More News

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…

  • Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Smartwatches and other wearable devices are ubiquitous in the world of sport and fitness. But how accurate are their measurements when other variables are in play? That’s exactly what Deakin…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Altona’s $80 million man

    Altona’s $80 million man

    An Altona man has become Victoria’s biggest ever lottery winner by taking home the entire $80 million jackpot in Thursday’s Powerball draw. “Oh my god! Are you joking?!” the retiree…

  • Aery’s big moment

    Aery’s big moment

    At just 16, Druids’ Ira Aery is doing battle with some of the best cricketers in Australia. The teenager’s game has gone from strength to strength the past 12 months,…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…