MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Six-storey building in Altona knocked back

Six-storey building in Altona knocked back

Hobsons Bay council has refused to grant a permit for a six-storey development which would have been Altona’s tallest residential building.

The tallest in Altona is currently five storeys.

Developer Redleigh Investments proposed to build a six-storey apartment block and retail centre on the corner of Sargood and Blyth streets.

The site currently has two single-storey houses on it.

Redleigh submitted plans to the council for a 35-dwelling residential development, with two shops, an office and 63 on-site parking spaces – 12 fewer than required under the council planning scheme.

Forty-two objections were submitted to the council, with residents raising concerns about the scale of the development, its appearance and the extent of the parking reduction being sought.

AERIAL SHOT WITH ARTIST’S IMPRESSION OF THE BLOCK’S FOOTPRINT (SUPPLIED)
AERIAL SHOT WITH ARTIST’S IMPRESSION OF THE BLOCK’S FOOTPRINT (SUPPLIED)

A special planning committee meeting to discuss the proposal was held on Thursday, when councillors Peter Hemphill, Carl Marsich and Jason Price defied an officer’s recommendation to allow the development.

They refused the proposal on 11 grounds, including that it was an over development of the site, failed to provide an adequate level of residential amenity, had inadequate carparking layout and access and was contrary to orderly and proper planning.

Altona Community Action Group spokesman Aaron Hunt said residents were “glad the councillors shared their concerns about inappropriate and opportunistic developments such as this”.

“Our concern from here is to ensure council resource a rigorous defence of the decision, as well as expediting the required policy work to constrain building heights in and around the Pier Street precinct,” he said.

The developer has 60 days to appeal to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

The architect acting for the developer, Vincent Interlandi, said he had not received an official instruction from his client on whether the matter would proceed to the tribunal.

“I can only speculate the answer would be ‘yes’,” he said.

 

Digital Editions


  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence…

More News

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…

  • Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Smartwatches and other wearable devices are ubiquitous in the world of sport and fitness. But how accurate are their measurements when other variables are in play? That’s exactly what Deakin…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Altona’s $80 million man

    Altona’s $80 million man

    An Altona man has become Victoria’s biggest ever lottery winner by taking home the entire $80 million jackpot in Thursday’s Powerball draw. “Oh my god! Are you joking?!” the retiree…

  • Aery’s big moment

    Aery’s big moment

    At just 16, Druids’ Ira Aery is doing battle with some of the best cricketers in Australia. The teenager’s game has gone from strength to strength the past 12 months,…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…