MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Brimbank mayor takes swipe at Cairnlea asbestos dumpers

Brimbank mayor takes swipe at Cairnlea asbestos dumpers

A Cairnlea mother may remove her son from his local primary school following the discovery of more asbestos at a nearby building site.

Brimbank mayor John Hedditch said owners of 93 Furlong Road “need the book thrown at them” after construction waste, containing asbestos from a demolished Carlton pub, was dumped late last month.

The Environment Protection Authority said in a statement last Wednesday that building sheet fragments discovered at the site contained asbestos.

That announcement came days after the EPA had given the site an all clear following “unannounced works” the previous Friday (November 4) by the site owners under the supervision of asbestos risk specialists.

The EPA said it received an “asbestos clearance letter” from the site owners’ solicitors confirming all asbestos had been safely removed.

An inspection the following day, during which samples of building material were taken, also raised no issues for the nearby community, the EPA said at the time.

But in light of Wednesday’s announcement about building sheet fragments, Cairnlea mother of two Marlina Sterio said at an EPA-run information session last Thursday that she might pull her 10-year-old son out of Cairnlea Primary School, which is 200 metres down the road from the dumped asbestos.

“I feel ridiculously uneasy,” she said. “I was going to take him out of school – it’s still an option. He was pretty stressed about going back to school. It’s very upsetting.”

Cr Hedditch said the “rogue behaviour” of the site owners should engender the full force of the law.

“They [the site owners] need the book thrown at them,” he said.

“A big book. It’s not been fixed up quickly enough.”

EPA chief executive officer Nial Finegan told

Star Weekly the conduct of the site owners had been “disgraceful” but “the risk is close to zero, there’s no real risk”.

He said .05 cubic metres of asbestos had been recovered from the site so far.

According to the EPA, WorkSafe has demanded the site owners take new measures to reduce the risk to the community. The EPA says the owners are required to inform Cairnlea Primary and surrounding residents before any asbestos material is removed. They must conduct daily inspections to ensure that the rubble remains covered and all waste must be removed before the end of the month.

Brimbank council is considering legal action against the owners.

Digital Editions


  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which…

More News

  • Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    A magistrate has committed a man to stand trial over the rape of a grandmother more than 40 years ago. However, he has been cleared over an alleged second rape…

  • New chapter for festival

    New chapter for festival

    Lovers of literature rejoice! The Brimbank Writers and Readers Festival is returning next month for its biggest event to date. Thirty-four events will run over six days, from 12-17 March,…

  • Folk at your doorstep

    Folk at your doorstep

    Get ready for an unforgettable night of music and storytelling as the Festival of Small Halls brings world-class folk talent to Ballan next month. On Wednesday 4 March, Ballan’s Neighbourhood…

  • Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    The Mount Players has an exciting 2026 season coming up, with the first show about to open at the Mountview Theatre. Rehearsals have been in full swing as the players…

  • Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    The tiny, et very mighty, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra is making its way to the west later this month. The orchestra will present its new show Flexible Sky, starring Slava Grigoryan,…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…

  • Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Gang squad detectives have charged a man and seized drugs, cash and a knife following raids on properties in Altona and South Kingsville on Tuesday. Police will allege that upon…

  • New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    Premier Jacinta Allan has toured the emergency department (ED) at the new Footscray Hospital on Tuesday morning, 24 hours before it welcomes its first patients. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas, Mental…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities…