MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Little Saigon markets will rise again

Little Saigon markets will rise again

The Little Saigon market will rise from its ashes with its owners pledging to rebuild a market on the site.

Fire tore through the iconic Footscray market last Tuesday, destroying half the building and severely damaging the rest.

Fire investigators have confirmed a fault in an electrical switchboard caused the blaze, estimated to have caused more than $12 million damage.

Co-owner Loc Lam said a search was under way for a joint venture partner to rebuild the market, with apartments to go above.

“We will rebuild 100 per cent. It takes time and we are going through the process and hope to rebuild something for the public,” Mr Lam said.

A planning permit to redevelop Little Saigon was issued in 2012, with plans showing two buildings of up to 12 storeys, comprising 260 dwellings and the new market at ground level.

Maribyrnong council infrastructure director Nigel Higgins said the permit had been extended twice and was due to expire on April 11 next year, if construction does not start by then.

Mr Lam said the redevelopment had been frozen since it was approved because the supermarket, the building’s major tenant, holds a lease until April 2017.

“We don’t need to wait now,” he said.

“The market building will be similar in size, with the same concept. We are hoping many of the traders come back, but it might be a year or two.”

Mr Lam said he feels “very sad” for the traders affected by the blaze, especially as it came at the busiest time of the year.

“Some don’t have insurance or enough insurance,” he said. “The timing of this was not the best.

“They had stocked up a fair bit for the festival trading.”

Maribyrnong council is looking for temporary sites for fruit and vegetable trading, and also for the Les Twentyman Foundation, which was above the market.

The blaze destroyed school books and toys donated to the foundation for Christmas, along with computer equipment used in its back-to-school program. A fundraising lunch  held at Crown Casino on Friday helped raise more than $150,000 for the Foundation.

A fundraising event to assist stricken traders will be held on Thursday evening at Rudimentary on Leeds Street.

The event will feature entertainment, carols and fundraising activities like red packet trees, a chopstick challenge, raffles and silent auctions with prizes donated by local businesses.

Digital Editions


  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with an inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the…

More News

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options are set to become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher seatbelt and distracted-driving enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are appealing for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Imperials through

    Imperials through

    Williamstown Imperials will be looking to cause an upset in the Victorian Turf Cricket Association group A T20 grand final. The Imperials, the only non-senior division side left in the…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    Star Weekly looks back on the pages of our predecessors. 40 years ago 26 February, 1986 Williamstown will not get its promised $1.2 million boat launching ramp. 30 years ago…

  • Doctor design

    Doctor design

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 Like dozens of his colleagues, Western Health anaesthetist Dr David Bramley was enjoying the spacious and modern surroundings of the new Footscray Hospital…

  • Volunteer hails new hospital

    Volunteer hails new hospital

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 The new Footscray Hospital is much bigger, more modern, offers many more services and is much more conveniently located than its predecessor. But…

  • Footscray Hospital’s opening day

    Footscray Hospital’s opening day

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 The opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday 18 February was a landmark event for the western suburbs, with the state of…

  • Hit and run investigated

    Hit and run investigated

    Police are appealing to anyone who witnessed a hit and run collision in South Kingsville on Thursday night to come forward. Emergency services were called to Blackshaws Road about 11pm…