MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » Uncategorized » Khan defends council walkout

Khan defends council walkout

By Alesha Capone

Wyndham Cr Intaj Khan twice walked out of last week’s council meeting, forcing the remaining councillors present to defer making a decision on two agenda items until a later date.

Cr Khan left the chamber before debate began on a report into the proposed subdivision of vacant land near the Hoppers Club.

He gave no verbal warning before leaving the room.

Four other councillors were absent from the meeting and Cr Kim McAliney left the room due to a conflict of interest – meaning that without Cr Khan there were not enough councillors present to legally vote on the item.

The report was deferred.

Cr Khan left the chamber for a second time a few minutes later while the council was considering a proposal to introduce a
5 per cent open space requirement (OSR), on planning permit applications to subdivide residentially-zoned land within “established” areas of Wyndham, where such a charge does not already exist.

A council report stated the council would collect an estimated $300,000 to $700,000 from the OSR every year.

Before leaving the meeting, Cr Khan said he was doing so because the OSR was important, and should be discussed by all councillors.

The council again deferred making a decision on the matter because there was not a quorum without Cr Khan.

After the meeting finished, Cr Josh Gilligan said he was “profoundly disappointed in Cr Khan’s actions”.

Cr Khan defended his behaviour to

Star Weekly, saying that it would have been “unfair” to residents to pass either motion without all councillors present.

Cr Khan said that while he was an “experienced councillor” serving his second term, Cr Gilligan had only been elected last year.

“I understand he’s not long in council, so possibly he doesn’t understand how I exercise my right,” Cr Khan said.

“That’s what these new councillors have to understand, my walking out of the chamber is respecting the chamber and understanding how local government rules work, because that’s deferred the items to the next meeting.”

Star Weekly understands the council later moved to hear the deferred items at an already scheduled council meeting on September 19.

Wyndham council’s chief executive Kelly Grigsby said that the council’s

Councillor Code of Conduct and Council Meeting Procedures did not specify that councillors had to provide a reason when leaving the chamber during meetings.

Digital Editions


  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence…

More News

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…

  • Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Smartwatches and other wearable devices are ubiquitous in the world of sport and fitness. But how accurate are their measurements when other variables are in play? That’s exactly what Deakin…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Altona’s $80 million man

    Altona’s $80 million man

    An Altona man has become Victoria’s biggest ever lottery winner by taking home the entire $80 million jackpot in Thursday’s Powerball draw. “Oh my god! Are you joking?!” the retiree…

  • Aery’s big moment

    Aery’s big moment

    At just 16, Druids’ Ira Aery is doing battle with some of the best cricketers in Australia. The teenager’s game has gone from strength to strength the past 12 months,…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…