MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Council slammed over mural censoring

Council slammed over mural censoring

A Yarraville artist has expressed surprise at Maribyrnong council censoring part of a mural he created to celebrate the Yarraville community.

A team led by street artist Heesco spent four days creating the mural alongside the eastern wall of the Village Store, a tagging hotspot on the edge of a public car park.

But the inclusion of a ‘No Paid Parking in Yarraville’ message in the mural, as a reflection of the community’s long but ultimately failed campaign to keep parking meters out of the village, raised the ire of the council.

An officer painted over the offending element on Monday, prompting an outpouring of anger on social media.

The mural was jointly funded by the council and the operators of the Village Store.

Heesco told Star Weekly he hadn’t expected the inclusion of the slogan to create so much controversy.

He conceded the slogan had not been included in the concept design, but said it was a reflection of local views as displayed on a banner that had long hung on the building.

“We do this for the community. It’s not a stance on my part, but expressing local views,” he said.

“We are artists, we’re not just signwriters.  I’m not deliberately trying to sabotage this project, I have a good relationship with the council. I think everybody should just relax a bit.”

The Village Store owner Daniel Anderson said he was happy with the mural overall despite disliking some elements.

He said he was unaware but unsurprised the council had censored the mural, created as part of the council’s $40,000 StreetWORKS project using street art to brighten spaces and discourage graffiti and tagging.

Council chief executive Stephen Wall said the concept design featuring Yarraville Village icons was agreed with the artists and approved by council and the Village Store property owner.

“Unbeknown to council, the artists added additional artwork containing political messaging. Council painted out the messaging and council has asked the artist to finalise the design to agreed specifications,” he said.

“We respect the right for artists to hold opinions on council decisions, however commissioned artwork is not the right forum for these opinions.”

Yarraville ward councillor Michael Clarke said he was “overwhelmingly disappointed” in the council’s action.

“This is not Eastern Bloc Europe, when art or the nature of art was dictated by the sentiments of the bureaucracy,” he said.

“It’s a piece of art that reflects a slice of time. The response is an anxious response and an awkward response. Such behaviour by any government is putting out fire with gasoline.”

Digital Editions


  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death…

More News

  • Health workers rally on new hospital

    Health workers rally on new hospital

    Thousands of striking health workers have rallied outside the new Footscray Hospital on its opening day on Wednesday, despite a personal intervention from the premier leading to a breakthrough in…

  • Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City is hoping for a smoother Victorian Premier League 2 season than the pre-season it’s had so far. Injuries have interrupted the preparation of the side under new coach…

  • Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    A magistrate has committed a man to stand trial over the rape of a grandmother more than 40 years ago. However, he has been cleared over an alleged second rape…

  • New chapter for festival

    New chapter for festival

    Lovers of literature rejoice! The Brimbank Writers and Readers Festival is returning next month for its biggest event to date. Thirty-four events will run over six days, from 12-17 March,…

  • Folk at your doorstep

    Folk at your doorstep

    Get ready for an unforgettable night of music and storytelling as the Festival of Small Halls brings world-class folk talent to Ballan next month. On Wednesday 4 March, Ballan’s Neighbourhood…

  • Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    The Mount Players has an exciting 2026 season coming up, with the first show about to open at the Mountview Theatre. Rehearsals have been in full swing as the players…

  • Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    The tiny, et very mighty, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra is making its way to the west later this month. The orchestra will present its new show Flexible Sky, starring Slava Grigoryan,…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…

  • Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Gang squad detectives have charged a man and seized drugs, cash and a knife following raids on properties in Altona and South Kingsville on Tuesday. Police will allege that upon…