MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » New plans lodged for Club Edgewater site

New plans lodged for Club Edgewater site

A multi-storey hotel and apartment complex flagged for the site of the half-built Club Edgewater project could be “called in” for a decision by Maribyrnong councillors.

The trouble-plagued $30 million club project, which was to include a gaming lounge with 70 gaming machines, up to 40 hotel rooms and 12 double-storey residential apartments, was abandoned in 2015 when Western Bulldogs and developer Prizac parted ways after an acrimonious falling out.

Maribyrnong Council has confirmed to Star Weekly that a new application has been lodged for 31 Edgewater Boulevard, behind Maribyrnong Aldi, for a multi-storey residential, hotel and commercial development.

New plans were lodged with the council in May, but the application has not been revealed until now.

An architectural render of the proposal. Image supplied.
An architectural render of the proposal. Image supplied.

Maribyrnong council planning services director Nigel Higgins said the proposal was not required to be advertised as it is “generally consistent” with the approved development plan for the overall Edgewater Estate.

The proponents last year tried to leverage opposition to poker machines into support for doubling the building’s height to incorporate 70 hotel apartments, 133 residential apartments and a 200-seat rooftop restaurant.

However, the Western Bulldogs have since sold all gaming entitlements associated with the approved development. Planning approval for the club is due to expire in January.

Planning documentation states that the future manager of the building would be Adara Hotels, which operates complexes in Richmond and Collins Street. Adara did not respond to repeated requests for comment.

The site as it currently stands. Photo by Benjamin Millar
The site as it currently stands. Photo by Benjamin Millar

When contacted by Star Weekly, a representative of Prizac refused to comment other than to say he would “make an announcement at the appropriate time”.

Residents Against Inappropriate Development in Maribyrnong spokesman Enzo DeFazio said the project was a “massive overdevelopment”, given the planning scheme for the Edgewater Neighbourhood Activity Centre recommends a height of three storeys. He said a parking shortfall would place more pressure on already strained street parking.

“Of course we would love to see something done with this site as it’s been an eyesore for many years now,” he said.

“However, what is being proposed is more in line with a Major Activity Centre such as Highpoint and central Footscray.”

Maribyrnong deputy mayor and ward councillor Sarah Carter said she has asked for a full briefing on the proposal and has flagged “calling it in” so councillors, rather than council staff, have the final say.

Digital Editions


  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with an inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the…

More News

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options are set to become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher seatbelt and distracted-driving enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are appealing for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Imperials through

    Imperials through

    Williamstown Imperials will be looking to cause an upset in the Victorian Turf Cricket Association group A T20 grand final. The Imperials, the only non-senior division side left in the…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    Star Weekly looks back on the pages of our predecessors. 40 years ago 26 February, 1986 Williamstown will not get its promised $1.2 million boat launching ramp. 30 years ago…

  • Doctor design

    Doctor design

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 Like dozens of his colleagues, Western Health anaesthetist Dr David Bramley was enjoying the spacious and modern surroundings of the new Footscray Hospital…

  • Volunteer hails new hospital

    Volunteer hails new hospital

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 The new Footscray Hospital is much bigger, more modern, offers many more services and is much more conveniently located than its predecessor. But…

  • Footscray Hospital’s opening day

    Footscray Hospital’s opening day

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 The opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday 18 February was a landmark event for the western suburbs, with the state of…

  • Hit and run investigated

    Hit and run investigated

    Police are appealing to anyone who witnessed a hit and run collision in South Kingsville on Thursday night to come forward. Emergency services were called to Blackshaws Road about 11pm…