MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » Sport » Cricket » Epping braces for winning bowling effort

Epping braces for winning bowling effort

Epping has work to do if it’s to knock off reigning premier Macleod in the Diamond Valley Cricket Association’s Barclay Shield.

After starting the season with two wins, Epping is using the game against Macleod as a chance to see where it is at against the top sides.

Epping captain-coach Andrew Bennett said it was a new challenge for them.

“There have been quite a few challenges and we have quite a few players unavailable,” he said.

“Anthony Licovski and Billy McKeown, who have been our best bat and bowler so far this season, are unavailable.

“John Kulikowski has come back for his first game, so that evens it out a bit. We thought if we could get a couple of wins early on it would set us up for this week.”

Day one was a mixed bag for Epping, with periods of good cricket and other periods that left it behind the eight ball.

Epping made 187, which was a lot better than looked likely earlier on.

Bennett top scored with 81, while Aaron Amos was good support in making 71.

“There was three sessions in one day,” Bennett said. “We were 4-18 and then 6-50, but managed to get to 187. We believe that would make it a competitive game.

“Macleod likes to run through teams when they are on the back foot and it was pleasing to work our way out of it.”

After working back into the game, Epping let Macleod off the hook, so Macleod will resume at 1-84.

Bennett said if his side could get early wickets on day two, it would be in with a chance to get the win.

“They’ve got four batsmen missing from last season’s premiership side,” he said.

“If we can get a couple of wickets early, we’ll have an opportunity to have a shot of the less experienced guys. With our bowling attack, I think we can do it.”

Bennett said that overall the start to the season had been pleasing, despite several players across the top two sides missing matches.

He said the club had more depth this season, with players from the premiership winning second XI side pushing for spots.

“Players are getting selected on strong performances,” he said.

“Sitting middle of the table, we knew we needed to add to our depth.  We brought in Marc La Brooy and Aaron Amos.

“The average age of our second XI is 21 or 22. We’ve got the talent coming through the grades and pushing for spots.”

Bennett, who is in his first season as captain-coach, said finals were clearly the aim this season.

“We have to take the next step – we don’t want to be a middle of the table team,” he said.

“We’ve got two players in their 30s and the rest in their 20s and we are building a squad with Barclay experience.”

Digital Editions


  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which…

More News

  • Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    A magistrate has committed a man to stand trial over the rape of a grandmother more than 40 years ago. However, he has been cleared over an alleged second rape…

  • New chapter for festival

    New chapter for festival

    Lovers of literature rejoice! The Brimbank Writers and Readers Festival is returning next month for its biggest event to date. Thirty-four events will run over six days, from 12-17 March,…

  • Folk at your doorstep

    Folk at your doorstep

    Get ready for an unforgettable night of music and storytelling as the Festival of Small Halls brings world-class folk talent to Ballan next month. On Wednesday 4 March, Ballan’s Neighbourhood…

  • Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    The Mount Players has an exciting 2026 season coming up, with the first show about to open at the Mountview Theatre. Rehearsals have been in full swing as the players…

  • Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    The tiny, et very mighty, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra is making its way to the west later this month. The orchestra will present its new show Flexible Sky, starring Slava Grigoryan,…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…

  • Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Gang squad detectives have charged a man and seized drugs, cash and a knife following raids on properties in Altona and South Kingsville on Tuesday. Police will allege that upon…

  • New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    Premier Jacinta Allan has toured the emergency department (ED) at the new Footscray Hospital on Tuesday morning, 24 hours before it welcomes its first patients. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas, Mental…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities…