MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Councillors react to explicit messages

Councillors react to explicit messages

Sexually explicit and threatening text messages sent to Maribyrnong’s two women councillors have prompted calls for a rethink on the public availability of councillors’ mobile phone numbers.

Maribyrnong councillor Sarah Carter told Star Weekly sexually explicit messages and even death threats had become a regular and unsettling occurrence.

She said the rise of social media had escalated a problem that had plagued her since being elected to the council in 2008.

“Ever since I was elected to council this has been happening, but recently they are beyond what you would normally get,” she said. “It’s meant to shock and unsettle.”

Cr Catherine Cumming said it was an issue she had silently weathered across her 18 years on council.

“I’m a strong person, but I don’t believe anyone should be abused in this way,” she said. “I’m constantly aware of my safety as well as the safety of my children.”

Maribyrnong councillors have their email address and mobile phone numbers posted on the council website, so as to be easily contactable by residents.

But Cr Carter has questioned whether there needs to be a review of the practice in light of an escalation in threatening and sexually graphic messages.

“It’s heartbreaking. One of the things we celebrate about local government is that we are not wrapped in cotton wool; we are easy to get hold of. But we need to look at ways of safeguarding so you’re not subjecting yourself to this kind of abuse.”

Cr Carter, who has blocked about 40 phone numbers, said she went public last week by posting examples of inappropriate messages on Facebook, as it was time to call out the “crass and cruel” behaviour.

One of the messages she posted warns: “I have your home address. I will find you.”

“It’s not just about me; my mother sees messages like this, as does my partner, and it’s upsetting for
them.”

Cr Carter said the rise of social media and social media apps had made it easier than ever for people to send messages directly.

“It just adds a whole suite of additional avenues for people to reach out to you.”

Cr Carter said the issue was particularly upsetting given local government was “a bit of a boys’ club” and she wants to encourage more women to become involved.

“Yet you may get death threats or unwanted sexual advances.”

Cr Cumming said she had developed ways of minimising abuse and unwanted harassment, such as refusing to answer calls without caller ID and turning her phone to silent overnight.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…

  • Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Neighbourhood houses and community centres from across Hobsons Bay joined forces on Friday morning to demand increased funding for the sector. The rally was organised by Newport Community Education Centre…

  • Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534275 Maribyrnong filmmaker Stephen Packer is one of 15 finalists at Tropfest, the world’s largest short film festival, which returns for the first time…

  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence of the risk it posed…

  • Hit and run in Kingsville

    Hit and run in Kingsville

    Police are investigating a hit and run collision in Kingsville on Sunday night. Emergency services were called to Geelong Road about 7.15pm on 15 February after reports a pedestrian had…

  • Important win for A’s

    Important win for A’s

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534371 Altona got an important win in the context of its season and the finals race in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west. The…

  • Transport strategy on the move

    Transport strategy on the move

    Hobsons Bay residents can have their say on the municipality’s transport future, with engagement open for council’s Integrated Transport Strategy 2026-36. With Hobsons Bay’s population projected to grow to 105,000…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    VFLW Williamstown has announced the signing of Mia Zielinski for the Victorian Football League women’s season. A developing key forward, Zielinski joins the Seagulls after a strong stint with the…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…