MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Little Saigon back on track pending permit extension

Little Saigon back on track pending permit extension

The redevelopment of Footscray’s fire-razed Little Saigon market site could begin by the end of this year, provided the owners can secure an extension to their lapsed planning permit.

Fire tore through the iconic Footscray market 18 months ago, causing more than $12 million damage.

Fire investigators found a fault in an electrical switchboard had caused the December 2016 blaze.

Site co-owner Binh Le said a developer has been secured to help rebuild a ground level market, topped by car parking and 260 apartments spread across two towers up to 12 storeys high.

“A lot of the old tenants have said that they want to come back,” he said.

 

FIRE CREWS AT THE LITTLE SAIGON MARKET. PHOTO BY JASON SOUTH.

The permit for the redevelopment, first granted in 2012, has already been extended three times. Mr Le said works were due to begin after the leases held by tenants ran out last April, but the impact of the fire caused extensive delays.

“We are hoping to get the extensions to the permit so we can do further things like apply for building permits,” he said.

“It’s now in the hands of the planning department of Maribyrnong council.”

Maribyrnong council’s planning services director Nigel Higgins confirmed his department had received another request for an extension of time for the permit.

“This is the fourth request to extend, and we are considering the request,” he said.

The council issued a clean-up notice for the site in January last year after high temperatures combined with rotting vegetables, meat and fish to produce a putrid smell.

The clean-up took place as soon as demolition approval was obtained and the site has been sitting empty ever since.

Digital Editions


  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence…

More News

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…

  • Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Smartwatches and other wearable devices are ubiquitous in the world of sport and fitness. But how accurate are their measurements when other variables are in play? That’s exactly what Deakin…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Altona’s $80 million man

    Altona’s $80 million man

    An Altona man has become Victoria’s biggest ever lottery winner by taking home the entire $80 million jackpot in Thursday’s Powerball draw. “Oh my god! Are you joking?!” the retiree…

  • Aery’s big moment

    Aery’s big moment

    At just 16, Druids’ Ira Aery is doing battle with some of the best cricketers in Australia. The teenager’s game has gone from strength to strength the past 12 months,…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…