MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Contamination fears from Laverton RAAF base

Contamination fears from Laverton RAAF base

The Department of Defence is investigating the extent of offsite contamination from chemicals found in firefighting foam used on the RAAF Base Williams at Laverton.

A preliminary site investigation finalised last September found the presence of per- and poly-fluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) at the base, prompting an investigation of the chemicals’ “migration” off base.

A survey of how the local community uses or has used bore and surface water is set to start in the next quarter. The department may conduct sampling on private property.

Luke McLeod, assistant secretary of the department’s PFAS Investigation and Management Program, told a community meeting in Laverton on Thursday there were three types of PFAS of concern if they got into drinking water, recreational water and soil.

“We’re particularly interested in understanding how the community around RAAF Base Williams use water, how they’re interacting with water, whether they’ve got bores, whether they’re using bores for drinking purposes, whether they might be using it for irrigation purposes, etcetera,” he said.

“There’s uncertainty about the health impact so we understand that can give rise to stress and anxiety around that uncertainty.”

He said federal and state health bodies had found there was currently no consistent evidence that exposure to PFAS caused adverse health impacts, but that human exposure to these chemicals should be minimised as a precaution.

Luke McLeod Photo: Goya Dmytryshchak

A Federal Department of Health fact sheet distributed at the meeting stated there was “no conclusive evidence” that PFAS caused cancer although some studies had shown a possible link.

A former firefighter on the base for 18 years, Werribee’s Mal Marsland-Kelsey, told the meeting the firefighting foams had been used sometimes two or three times a day and the fire trucks were hosed down daily.

“We were instructed to use this chemical in the fire trucks,” he said.

“We didn’t know whether it was safe or not. We understood it was safe.”

Mr Marsland-Kelsey, 76, said he only learned PFAS were dangerous when he got out of the air force.

Resident Joel Bennett told the meeting that if he had known about the use of PFAS, he wouldn’t have moved to Laverton.

“I’m within a kilometre of a contaminated area,” he said. “I wouldn’t have bought in the area if I knew I was going to be living near a contaminated RAAF base.”

Federal Lalor MP Joanne Ryan told the meeting she was concerned about offsite contamination, particularly as the base used to stretch to Williams Landing.

“I think there might be several hundred farmers in Werribee South that might be interested to know that they shouldn’t be using that water,” she said.

Residents wanting to participate in the water use survey should contact the investigation team on 1800 549 828 or williams.defence@aurecongroup.com/

Details: www.defence.gov.au/environment/pfas/williams.

RAAF Base Williams’ current and former boundaries. Image: Department of Defence

 

Digital Editions


More News

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…

  • Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Neighbourhood houses and community centres from across Hobsons Bay joined forces on Friday morning to demand increased funding for the sector. The rally was organised by Newport Community Education Centre…

  • Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534275 Maribyrnong filmmaker Stephen Packer is one of 15 finalists at Tropfest, the world’s largest short film festival, which returns for the first time…

  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence of the risk it posed…

  • Hit and run in Kingsville

    Hit and run in Kingsville

    Police are investigating a hit and run collision in Kingsville on Sunday night. Emergency services were called to Geelong Road about 7.15pm on 15 February after reports a pedestrian had…

  • Important win for A’s

    Important win for A’s

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534371 Altona got an important win in the context of its season and the finals race in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west. The…

  • Transport strategy on the move

    Transport strategy on the move

    Hobsons Bay residents can have their say on the municipality’s transport future, with engagement open for council’s Integrated Transport Strategy 2026-36. With Hobsons Bay’s population projected to grow to 105,000…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    VFLW Williamstown has announced the signing of Mia Zielinski for the Victorian Football League women’s season. A developing key forward, Zielinski joins the Seagulls after a strong stint with the…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…