MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Pressure over home care

Pressure over home care

Services for some of the west’s most vulnerable residents may not be privatised after mounting pressure on councils from Labor heavyweights.

State and federal MPs are urging Hobsons Bay and Maribyrnong councils not to outsource home care for the elderly and younger people with disabilities given the likelihood of an imminent federal Labor government.

As reported by Star Weekly, both councils began a tender process to sub-contract domestic assistance, personal care and in-home respite due to proposed changes in federal funding.

However, Hobsons Bay council cancelled Tuesday night’s ordinary meeting, at which a decision on the tender was expected to be made, after receiving a joint letter from Labor MPs.

The letter addressed to chief executive Aaron van Egmond, dated February 4, was jointly signed by Williamstown MP Melissa Horne, Footscray MP Katie Hall and Western Metropolitan Region MP Ingrid Stitt.

It urges the council not to outsource the service given an “imminent federal election”, implying that funding arrangements could change if Labor wins government.

“Our constituents are concerned that the contracting out of these services will lead to poorer care outcomes for vulnerable community members,” the letter states.

The letter requests an explanation from the council on why it no longer wants to provide in-home aged care services “given the high level uncertainty in the broader environment, namely the aged care royal commission and imminent federal election”.

Australian Services Union organiser Luke Cherry said an identical letter was sent to Maribyrnong council.

Mr Cherry said federal Opposition Leader and Maribyrnong MP Bill Shorten and Gellibrand MP Tim Watts also opposed moves to outsource the service.

“The position is, an incoming federal Labor government has got in the federal platform that they will review the models, that they will investigate ways to keep the services in-council in Victoria, and basically maintain it by councils being providers of direct home care support,” Mr Cherry said.
“There is likely to be a change of federal government who may well maintain all of the funding and, also, we’re at the commencement of a royal commission into aged care.

“While all of that’s going on, and the funding is guaranteed until mid 2020 and is expected to be extended regardless, why on earth would they privatise it now?”

Mr van Egmond said no decision has yet been made by the councillors.

Maribyrnong community services director Clem Gillings declined to comment.

Last night’s scheduled meeting of Hobsons Bay council was deferred to next Tuesday, when both Hobsons Bay and Maribyrnong are expected to make a decision on the matter.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…

  • Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Neighbourhood houses and community centres from across Hobsons Bay joined forces on Friday morning to demand increased funding for the sector. The rally was organised by Newport Community Education Centre…

  • Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534275 Maribyrnong filmmaker Stephen Packer is one of 15 finalists at Tropfest, the world’s largest short film festival, which returns for the first time…

  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence of the risk it posed…

  • Hit and run in Kingsville

    Hit and run in Kingsville

    Police are investigating a hit and run collision in Kingsville on Sunday night. Emergency services were called to Geelong Road about 7.15pm on 15 February after reports a pedestrian had…

  • Important win for A’s

    Important win for A’s

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534371 Altona got an important win in the context of its season and the finals race in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west. The…

  • Transport strategy on the move

    Transport strategy on the move

    Hobsons Bay residents can have their say on the municipality’s transport future, with engagement open for council’s Integrated Transport Strategy 2026-36. With Hobsons Bay’s population projected to grow to 105,000…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    VFLW Williamstown has announced the signing of Mia Zielinski for the Victorian Football League women’s season. A developing key forward, Zielinski joins the Seagulls after a strong stint with the…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…