MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Rape sentence appeal rejected

Rape sentence appeal rejected

A man has lost his appeal against a 21-year jail sentence for raping a woman three weeks after getting out of jail for assaulting her.

Patrick Bolton was found guilty by the County Court of two charges of rape and one charge each of common assault, making a threat to kill and intentionally causing injury.

He was sentenced to 21 years jail with a minimum of 17 years.

The Court of Appeal heard he had been sentenced as a serious sexual offender because he had previously been convicted of three counts of rape, for which he had been sentenced to 10 years and nine months jail.

Bolton appealed on the grounds that the sentencing judge erred in finding that he posed such a continuing risk to the community that a disproportionate sentence might be imposed.

He unsuccessfully sought leave to appeal against his conviction.

The court heard that between 2010 and 2014, Bolton and the complainant were in an “on and off” relationship.

It ended following a violent incident in Williamstown, for which Bolton was sentenced to 15 months jail.

After his release in 2015, Bolton moved into a Maidstone unit.

The court heard that on June 5, 2015, Bolton and the complainant were in the unit and he struck her in the face with the brief of evidence from the Williamstown incident.

He told her: “If you go to the police again, I will kill you.”

He then raped the complainant and placed a lit cigarette against her inner upper right thigh while doing so.

Bolton left the unit, but returned a short time later and again raped the complainant.

The court heard that during the trial, Bolton did not call any witnesses or give evidence.

Bolton’s counsel cross-examined the complainant at length, suggesting Bolton’s DNA was on her body because of a sexual encounter with him days earlier and she had not since showered.

Defence counsel also argued that she had raped herself with an object and burnt herself with a cigarette.

The judge discharged the jury due to concern that the jury may have had some difficulty separating the evidence actually given by the complainant from the assertions made to her in cross-examination.

The Court of Appeal ruled that the non-parole period imposed was within range and Bolton’s appeal was dismissed.

It refused his application for leave to appeal against his conviction, ruling that there
was no reasonable basis for contending that there was an error or an irregularity in the
trial.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…

  • Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Neighbourhood houses and community centres from across Hobsons Bay joined forces on Friday morning to demand increased funding for the sector. The rally was organised by Newport Community Education Centre…

  • Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534275 Maribyrnong filmmaker Stephen Packer is one of 15 finalists at Tropfest, the world’s largest short film festival, which returns for the first time…

  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence of the risk it posed…

  • Hit and run in Kingsville

    Hit and run in Kingsville

    Police are investigating a hit and run collision in Kingsville on Sunday night. Emergency services were called to Geelong Road about 7.15pm on 15 February after reports a pedestrian had…

  • Important win for A’s

    Important win for A’s

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534371 Altona got an important win in the context of its season and the finals race in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west. The…

  • Transport strategy on the move

    Transport strategy on the move

    Hobsons Bay residents can have their say on the municipality’s transport future, with engagement open for council’s Integrated Transport Strategy 2026-36. With Hobsons Bay’s population projected to grow to 105,000…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    VFLW Williamstown has announced the signing of Mia Zielinski for the Victorian Football League women’s season. A developing key forward, Zielinski joins the Seagulls after a strong stint with the…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…