MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » Uncategorized » ‘Priceless’ trains burnt

‘Priceless’ trains burnt

By Goya Dmytryshchak

A four-carriage ‘swinging door’ train dating back to 1886 was destroyed after an electrical fault caused a huge fire at the Newport Railway Workshops early last Wednesday morning.

The train had undergone restoration by Steamrail Victoria over 35 years and was only months away from operating as a living museum on the metropolitan railway network.

The fire at the Champion Road site, which started about 1.20am, also caused extensive damage to two heritage-listed buildings which were the birthplace of many of Victoria’s locomotives and carriages.

VicTrack leases the workshops, built between 1884 and 1888, to Steamrail Victoria.

Steamrail Victoria board director Michael McGlade said volunteers, some of whom had worked over the 35 years to restore the carriages, were devastated by the loss.

“There are three restored carriages destroyed: one each from 1886, 1889 and 1907, and we had one unrestored there from 1904.

“They used to operate on the Melbourne metropolitan network when it was operated by steam and then they were converted to electric and ran until the 1970s.

“They’re the last of those carriages in Victoria, so the oldest suburban carriages. It’s a major loss for the state.”

Mr McGlade said the destroyed 140-year-old train set would have been one of the oldest operating electric trains in the world and a major tourist attraction for Melbourne.

“The carriages are irreplaceable,” he said. “Not only were they among the last ones in existence, they were also the most intact.”

Valuable restoration tools and equipment were also destroyed in the blaze.

MFB spokesman Steve Moore said the blaze covered an area of about 50 square metres and flames were shooting through the roof when the first crew arrived.

Firefighters had difficulty accessing water, and three aerial crews were called in.

Specialist Hazmat workers were hosing down trucks and decontaminating firefighters and vehicles on Wednesday morning due to asbestos in the building.

Eighty firefighters took more than two hours to bring the fire under control. Most of the building was saved but the damage bill is expected to run into hundreds of thousands, along with the priceless loss of history.

MFB fire investigator Damian O’Toole said the blaze was caused by an electrical fault.

“There’s been an electrical fault with the wiring causing it to ignite combustibles under the train,” he said.

Digital Editions


  • Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City is hoping for a smoother Victorian Premier League 2 season than the pre-season it’s had so far. Injuries have interrupted the preparation of…

More News

  • Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    The tiny, et very mighty, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra is making its way to the west later this month. The orchestra will present its new show Flexible Sky, starring Slava Grigoryan,…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…

  • Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Gang squad detectives have charged a man and seized drugs, cash and a knife following raids on properties in Altona and South Kingsville on Tuesday. Police will allege that upon…

  • New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    Premier Jacinta Allan has toured the emergency department (ED) at the new Footscray Hospital on Tuesday morning, 24 hours before it welcomes its first patients. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas, Mental…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities…

  • Surf club claims rejected

    Surf club claims rejected

    Hobsons Bay council has denied misleading the public over how much money it has committed to the proposed redevelopment of the Williamstown Swimming and Surf Lifesaving Club (WSLSC). In a…

  • Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534279 Williamstown’s Andy Griffiths is one of Australia’s popular children’s authors with his books such as the Treehouse series and the BUM trilogy selling…

  • Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    With the new Footscray Hospital is finally set to open this week, local residents are being warned to not expect any redevelopment of the old hospital any time soon. The…

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…