MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » More delays for Newport childcare centre

More delays for Newport childcare centre

Parents waiting for a Newport childcare centre to open say they have been left in limbo by constant delays with some unable to return to work or having to put their children in other centres.

Nino Early Learning Adventures was originally slated to open in March this year.

However, in correspondence seen by Star Weekly, parents were told the centre would open in late April or early May.

In a subsequent letter dated June 12, the “Nino Management Team” stated the centre’s “expected opening date for July is now unachievable”.

“As you are aware, over the past months the construction (undertaken by the building owner) located at 519 Melbourne Road, Newport, has had ongoing setbacks and delays that have been challenging and out of our control but most disappointingly this has not allowed us access to the building to complete the centre’s set up for operation,” it stated.

“The building owner has not been able to connect a power supply, thus continuously delaying the possibility of finalising the build and allowing Nino Early Learning Adventures access.

“Due to these circumstances we must inform our families that we are unable to provide a confirmed date of operation.”

A Newport mother, who wished to remain anonymous, said she had since put her son in another centre. “Like many new parents, my partner and I put our child’s name down at Nino last year after being told the brand new centre would be opening in March,” she said.

“But then the opening date was pushed back to April or May, then July and now they’re saying they can’t guarantee when it’s going to open at all.

Nino spokesman Luke Agosta said the building delays were “totally out of our hands”.

“We’re not building the centre, we are the operator only, so we have absolutely no recourse other than obviously be in constant contact with the builder, the owner of the property.

“We’re desperate to get in there ourselves to meet the expectations of those parents.

“It’s imminent now … but I wouldn’t give a date.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…

  • Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Neighbourhood houses and community centres from across Hobsons Bay joined forces on Friday morning to demand increased funding for the sector. The rally was organised by Newport Community Education Centre…

  • Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534275 Maribyrnong filmmaker Stephen Packer is one of 15 finalists at Tropfest, the world’s largest short film festival, which returns for the first time…

  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence of the risk it posed…

  • Hit and run in Kingsville

    Hit and run in Kingsville

    Police are investigating a hit and run collision in Kingsville on Sunday night. Emergency services were called to Geelong Road about 7.15pm on 15 February after reports a pedestrian had…

  • Important win for A’s

    Important win for A’s

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534371 Altona got an important win in the context of its season and the finals race in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west. The…

  • Transport strategy on the move

    Transport strategy on the move

    Hobsons Bay residents can have their say on the municipality’s transport future, with engagement open for council’s Integrated Transport Strategy 2026-36. With Hobsons Bay’s population projected to grow to 105,000…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    VFLW Williamstown has announced the signing of Mia Zielinski for the Victorian Football League women’s season. A developing key forward, Zielinski joins the Seagulls after a strong stint with the…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…