MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Tiny homes a big deal for tackling homelessness

Tiny homes a big deal for tackling homelessness

The first tenants in a groundbreaking “tiny home” pilot program to help tackle homelessness have praised the project for providing a sense of safety and belonging.

Launch Housing unveiled the first phase of its $9 million Harris Transportable Housing Project on Monday, officially launching the first six of 57 “tiny homes” built on nine VicRoads reserves along Ballarat Road in Footscray and Maidstone.

Deborah, the first tenant placed in one of the properties – along with her dog, Zeus – said her life had been drastically changed since she secured the house.

“I have noticed changes in how I view the world and dreams and aspirations are now possible,” she said.

“Slowly, a day at a time, I’m building a new life. I am slowly integrating back into society.”

Deborah said it was the first safe, stable home she has had since becoming homeless at the age of 13 when her father shot her mother dead then turned the gun on himself.

“I battled drug and alcohol dependency from a young age,” she said.

“These units are perfect for people who have battled with so many issues, such as myself.”

Deborah said Zeus loved sunning himself on the front porch and she had forged friendships with her fellow neighbours.

“My garden out front is my favourite space,” she said. “I love that I can have a garden and have stability, that my garden can grow and I can watch my flowers bloom.”

The project is a partnership between Launch Housing and philanthropists Geoff and Brad Harris, who chipped in $4 million, along with the state government’s Victorian Property Fund.

Launch Housing chief executive Bevan Warner said the project could be rolled out across Victoria after the success of the early homes.

But he warned the homeless challenge remained daunting, with almost 25,000 people in Victoria being without a home on any given night, including about 1700 people sleeping rough.

“Let’s be clear, homelessness is getting worse, not better,” he said. “Many people receive no practical help at all … there are not enough beds and not enough homes.”

Mr Warner said 195 hectares of government land sitting empty across Melbourne could host more than enough relocatable homes to end rough sleeping.

Geoff Harris said Australia was a wealthy enough country to provide education, healthcare and housing to all Australians, but it had dropped the ball on basic housing.

“We decided to donate $4 million, which is the cost of the actual building of the first 57 units,” he said.

“What struck me is they are just normal Australians, who have had their challenges. When Deborah showed me through her home on the first night that I was here, there was a sense of pride and belonging and I was very emotional hearing her say that.”

Digital Editions


  • Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City is hoping for a smoother Victorian Premier League 2 season than the pre-season it’s had so far. Injuries have interrupted the preparation of…

More News

  • Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    The tiny, et very mighty, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra is making its way to the west later this month. The orchestra will present its new show Flexible Sky, starring Slava Grigoryan,…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…

  • Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Gang squad detectives have charged a man and seized drugs, cash and a knife following raids on properties in Altona and South Kingsville on Tuesday. Police will allege that upon…

  • New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    Premier Jacinta Allan has toured the emergency department (ED) at the new Footscray Hospital on Tuesday morning, 24 hours before it welcomes its first patients. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas, Mental…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities…

  • Surf club claims rejected

    Surf club claims rejected

    Hobsons Bay council has denied misleading the public over how much money it has committed to the proposed redevelopment of the Williamstown Swimming and Surf Lifesaving Club (WSLSC). In a…

  • Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534279 Williamstown’s Andy Griffiths is one of Australia’s popular children’s authors with his books such as the Treehouse series and the BUM trilogy selling…

  • Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    With the new Footscray Hospital is finally set to open this week, local residents are being warned to not expect any redevelopment of the old hospital any time soon. The…

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…