MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Melbourne Victory and Maribyrnong Council deny design links

Melbourne Victory and Maribyrnong Council deny design links

Melbourne Victory football club and Maribyrnong Council have distanced themselves from architectural designs and a fly-through video of a proposed grandstand and soccer field at Footscray Park.

The website of Melbourne architecture firm Katz Architecture included design concepts for the project featuring a series of images and a link to a video, uploaded in April, all of which was removed on Thursday following questions from Star Weekly and after being shared on social media by opponents of the project.

While Melbourne Victory says it has engaged consultants to assist with preliminary concept designs, it also says Katz Architecture is not one of these consultants.

Under the heading of “Inspiring Football Stars of Tomorrow”, the webpage listed Melbourne Victory, Maribyrnong City Council, Victoria University and Maribyrnong College as the project’s clients.

“This is a project of national significance. It should encourage the growth of football at all levels and in so doing generate positive social and community outcomes,” it stated.

“Illustrated below are diagrams that demonstrate our design approach, resolving client brief requirements and tailoring to the specific site opportunities in a way that highlights its significant status as a national sports academy. Several options are considered before arriving at the best solution.”

 

A concept design for the grandstand.

Opponents of the project seized on the designs to suggest Melbourne Victory were closer to tendering for construction of the project than they had admitted.

They argue that the Council had misled the community when it stated that the council has not given any permission, indication or encouragement to invite to tender for construction or development work in relation to the proposal.

A spokesman for Melbourne Victory said the Katz Architecture website’s suggestion that the project was out to tender was incorrect. 

“Katz Architecture is not involved with nor have they been engaged by MVFC to undertake any work on the academy and community facility,” he said.

“Melbourne Victory has engaged some consultants to assist with preliminary concept designs for the planning of the Project, but Katz Architecture is not one of these consultants.

 

A still from the video fly-through of the design.

“No tender documents have gone out to construction companies for the build, this won’t occur until the master plan is approved.”

Maribyrnong Council director of planning services Nigel Higgins said a request for tender was released by Melbourne Victory FC Academy Limited for the provision of design team services for the academy.

“Maribyrnong City Council is not the client listed on the tender documents.” 

Mr Higgins said it is not uncommon for agencies to use architects to develop concepts and indicative costings for a proposed development as part of their due diligence.

 

Diagrams from the Katz Architecture webpage.

 “We supported Melbourne Victory proving up the feasibility for the proposal at Footscray Park, whether it was geotech, turf/lighting expertise, architects or cost planners,” he said.

“Approvals have not been given for the project to proceed and are required prior to any works occurring or not. We always cautioned expenditure without Council confirming its final position.”

Katz Architecture told Star Weekly on Thursday that it did not wish to comment, later taking down the webpage and a video which had been posted to YouTube in April.

Council is due to make its decision on the proposal next Tuesday night.

Digital Editions


  • Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    The Mount Players has an exciting 2026 season coming up, with the first show about to open at the Mountview Theatre. Rehearsals have been in…

More News

  • New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    Premier Jacinta Allan has toured the emergency department (ED) at the new Footscray Hospital on Tuesday morning, 24 hours before it welcomes its first patients. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas, Mental…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities…

  • Surf club claims rejected

    Surf club claims rejected

    Hobsons Bay council has denied misleading the public over how much money it has committed to the proposed redevelopment of the Williamstown Swimming and Surf Lifesaving Club (WSLSC). In a…

  • Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534279 Williamstown’s Andy Griffiths is one of Australia’s popular children’s authors with his books such as the Treehouse series and the BUM trilogy selling…

  • Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    With the new Footscray Hospital is finally set to open this week, local residents are being warned to not expect any redevelopment of the old hospital any time soon. The…

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…

  • Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Neighbourhood houses and community centres from across Hobsons Bay joined forces on Friday morning to demand increased funding for the sector. The rally was organised by Newport Community Education Centre…

  • Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534275 Maribyrnong filmmaker Stephen Packer is one of 15 finalists at Tropfest, the world’s largest short film festival, which returns for the first time…

  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence of the risk it posed…

  • Hit and run in Kingsville

    Hit and run in Kingsville

    Police are investigating a hit and run collision in Kingsville on Sunday night. Emergency services were called to Geelong Road about 7.15pm on 15 February after reports a pedestrian had…