MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Hobsons Bay to get glass bins in recycling overhaul

Hobsons Bay to get glass bins in recycling overhaul

Hobsons Bay households are set to have four bins for kerbside collection, including a glass bin collected monthly and a food and green organics bin picked up weekly.

A council report also reveals plans to change garbage collection from weekly to fortnightly.

Kerbside recycling in Hobsons Bay was suspended for two months after the council’s contracted recycler, SKM Recycling was declared insolvent by the Supreme Court on August 2.

It resumed on September 30 and commingled recyclables are currently being taken to SKM’s former Laverton North plant under an interim agreement with receivers KordaMentha.

The council’s chief executive Aaron van Egmond is expected to negotiate new contracts with multiple local recycling providers to avoid reliance on one business.

The council’s recycling costs have risen from $7 million to $8 million per year, and the introduction of glass and food organics and green organics (FOGO) bins is expected to cost $4 million as an initial one-off cost.

Hobson Bay mayor Jonathon Marsden said that removing glass from the commingled recycling bin was central to reducing contamination.

“We need to take the glass out of the recycling stream to prevent it from contaminating the other recyclable material such as paper, cardboard, aluminum, steel and plastics,” he said.

“This will mean high values for our recyclables and immediate use for the glass collected to be made into bottles.”

The report states FOGO currently going to landfill can also be processed and reused.

“The municipal-wide changes to the waste and recycling services include the delivery of a weekly FOGO service, a monthly glass recycling service, a fortnightly recycling service (paper, plastic, and metal), and a fortnightly garbage (landfill) collection service.

“All residents will receive a new glass bin, and those residents who do not already have a green waste bin will receive a green bin.

“An extensive engagement program is planned to support the rollout.”

The report states council is analysing whether multi-unit or high density developments using its service can accommodate the extra bins.

The council plans “to move as quickly as possible” to introduce the new bins.

Hobson Bay mayor Jonathon Marsden said that removing glass from the commingled recycling bin was central to reducing contamination.They could be introduced as early as November-December, or early next year, depending on contractual terms negotiated.

Digital Editions


  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence…

More News

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…

  • Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Smartwatches and other wearable devices are ubiquitous in the world of sport and fitness. But how accurate are their measurements when other variables are in play? That’s exactly what Deakin…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Altona’s $80 million man

    Altona’s $80 million man

    An Altona man has become Victoria’s biggest ever lottery winner by taking home the entire $80 million jackpot in Thursday’s Powerball draw. “Oh my god! Are you joking?!” the retiree…

  • Aery’s big moment

    Aery’s big moment

    At just 16, Druids’ Ira Aery is doing battle with some of the best cricketers in Australia. The teenager’s game has gone from strength to strength the past 12 months,…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…