MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Setting Sun Film Festival moves online

Setting Sun Film Festival moves online

The annual Setting Sun Film Festival, which sells out every year, will go ahead despite COVID-19.

Now in its seventh year, it had been set to screen Yarraville’s Sun Theatre and Kindred Studios before the cinemas were shut down.

Instead, an abridged version of the festival will be screened online for free from May 6-12.

Festival director Anna Bourozikas the move could attract an even wider audience than usual.

“The online festival is a goodwill gesture to our community in these difficult times until we can present the full festival later in the year,” she said.

“We are the first of Melbourne’s film festivals to be presenting an online festival after having to decide whether to cancel or postpone their event because of COVID-19.”

She said the online festival could be viewed by people around the world who were in isolation because of the pandemic.

“It also gives our overseas filmmakers a chance to view the festival when ordinarily they wouldn’t,” Ms Bourozikas said.

More than 200 submissions were received for this year’s festival, which will feature a selection of award-winning films in various genres from Australia and overseas.

At the end, viewers can vote for Best Film.

Finalists will be revealed at the end of the online festival with winners to be announced when cinemas reopen later this year.

For more information and to watch the festival, visit www.settingsun.com.au

Digital Editions


  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence…

More News

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…

  • Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Smartwatches and other wearable devices are ubiquitous in the world of sport and fitness. But how accurate are their measurements when other variables are in play? That’s exactly what Deakin…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Altona’s $80 million man

    Altona’s $80 million man

    An Altona man has become Victoria’s biggest ever lottery winner by taking home the entire $80 million jackpot in Thursday’s Powerball draw. “Oh my god! Are you joking?!” the retiree…

  • Aery’s big moment

    Aery’s big moment

    At just 16, Druids’ Ira Aery is doing battle with some of the best cricketers in Australia. The teenager’s game has gone from strength to strength the past 12 months,…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…