MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Heavy metal: Residents sent to hotel over West Gate Tunnel noise

Heavy metal: Residents sent to hotel over West Gate Tunnel noise

Residents along the West Gate Tunnel corridor have been relocated to Quest apartments due to noise from hydroblasting works.

Some households have been loaned “white noise machines” in a bid to drown out night works described as sounding like “metal scraping on metal”.

Star Weekly has seen correspondence between multiple residents and the West Gate Tunnel Project (WGTP), with some complainants stating they were undergoing counselling due to the noise affecting their mental health.

South Kingsville resident Julie Richards has been relocated twice in the past month to Quest apartments at Williamstown North.

In correspondence to the WGTP, Ms Richards stated the sleep disturbance could have serious consequences for her partner whose work involved implementing stage three restrictions under the COVID-19 state of emergency.

“Lack of sleep can lead to serious consequences and likelihood of accidents given she operates machinery and has been responsible for removing people from public places whilst COVID restrictions have been in place,” Ms Richards stated.

“I also work in local laws and regulatory/legislation matters so need to be alert to do my job.”

In another email to the WGTP on Tuesday last week, Ms Richards stated: “I again report the works last night as loud enough that they are disrupting my sleep and affecting my mental health, in this already stressful time. I’m attending counselling tomorrow to deal with this disruption to my life.”

A WGTP representative replied that “my colleague will leave a white noise machine on your door step within the hour”.

“It’s like, you’ve got to be kidding that I’m going to sleep with that and that’s going to be any better,” Ms Richards said.

The WGTP has scaled back works from going overnight to finishing at midnight.

However, Ms Richards said they should be finished earlier, particularly as traffic was down because of more people staying home.

“They’ve said to us that the reason they’re doing the works at night is because they need to close lanes on the bridge and we’ve just said that’s a joke because COVID’s happening, traffic’s down by 60 per cent, you could start these works at 5pm and be done by 10pm.”

Another period of work is scheduled to take place for one week during June.

A WGTP spokesperson said a number of households had taken up “respite options”.

“We know that noisy night works can be disruptive and have been working closely with local residents to address their concerns and finish off the work as soon as possible,” the spokesperson said.

“This includes offering a range of respite options, including temporary relocation, which a number of households have taken up.

“In response to community feedback, and with current coronavirus restrictions lowering the number of cars on the road, works have started earlier in the evening and finished earlier to reduce the noise impact on residents

“We appreciate the patience of the local community while we carry out this essential work to widen the West Gate Freeway.”

The spokesperson said works could not be fully completed during the day, as much of the freeway and freight railway lane below needed to be closed.

‘IT’S A HORRIBLE ENVIRONMENT’

A Spotswood mother of two toddlers is among multiple residents along the Westgate Tunnel corridor who have been given hotel accommodation because of noise.

Carla Frost was previously relocated by the West Gate Tunnel Project into Quest apartments but is currently at home.

“Previously, there was probably about 10 metres between us and the freeway wall,” she said.

“Now, because they’ve widened the freeway, they’ve moved the wall within a metre of our boundary.

“We’ve experienced, since the project began really, constant noise and disruption at all hours of the day and night.

“I’ve got two young kids – a one year old and a two year old. All of our sleep has been severely affected by it, and my own mental health has been difficult because of it.”

Ms Frost said her family could feel the vibrations and the house had “clearly moved”.

She said it was a “big disruption” to go into temporary hotel accommodation with two young girls.

“We’ve been pushing for relocation and not just this couple of nights here and there,” she said.

“I want long-term relocation while the project is going on and somewhere that’s stable and good for my own mental health, too.

“On a bigger scale, we’re pushing for the state government to voluntarily purchase [our] properties.

“We’re never going to be able to sell it, we’re never going to able to rent it.

“It wouldn’t even feel right to rent it to someone at the moment. It’s a horrible environment to move into.”

Digital Editions


  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on 11 April, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne.…

More News

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher seatbelt and distracted-driving enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are appealing for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Imperials through

    Imperials through

    Williamstown Imperials will be looking to cause an upset in the Victorian Turf Cricket Association group A T20 grand final. The Imperials, the only non-senior division side left in the…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    Star Weekly looks back on the pages of our predecessors. 40 years ago 26 February, 1986 Williamstown will not get its promised $1.2 million boat launching ramp. 30 years ago…

  • Doctor design

    Doctor design

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 Like dozens of his colleagues, Western Health anaesthetist Dr David Bramley was enjoying the spacious and modern surroundings of the new Footscray Hospital…

  • Volunteer hails new hospital

    Volunteer hails new hospital

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 The new Footscray Hospital is much bigger, more modern, offers many more services and is much more conveniently located than its predecessor. But…

  • Footscray Hospital’s opening day

    Footscray Hospital’s opening day

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 The opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday 18 February was a landmark event for the western suburbs, with the state of…

  • Hit and run investigated

    Hit and run investigated

    Police are appealing to anyone who witnessed a hit and run collision in South Kingsville on Thursday night to come forward. Emergency services were called to Blackshaws Road about 11pm…

  • Stars coming to Altona North

    Stars coming to Altona North

    International box lacrosse is coming to Altona North. Both the Next Gen Series and the IIJL Commonwealth Cup are being hosted at Alan Lewer Box Court. The inaugural Next Gen…