MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » Uncategorized » Western Bulldogs: Captain Ryan Griffen slammed by president

Western Bulldogs: Captain Ryan Griffen slammed by president

Western Bulldogs captain Ryan Griffen has dropped a bombshell by requesting a trade out of the club with a year still to run on his contract.

Griffen’s management company Elite Sports Properties has released a statement today of the star midfielder’s wish to be traded to the GWS Giants.

“After ongoing consultation with the Western Bulldogs, his family and management, Ryan Griffen has requested a trade to the Greater Western Sydney Giants,” the ESP statement read.

“At 28, Ryan feels a fresh start outside Melbourne after 202 games with the Western Bulldogs is the right thing for him.

“The decision has not come lightly and has been extremely difficult for all involved.

“It has been made with the intent that the Western Bulldogs are duly compensated for granting Ryan a release from the final year of his contract.”

Giants chief executive David Matthews said his club will enter into discussions with the Bulldogs to “do a fair deal in the interests of all parties during the trade period”.

RELATED

Who will be our next captain?

The story behind the Ryan Griffin walkout

Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon has since issued a scathing statement about Griffen, in which Gordon suggested the club had “no intention of indulging” Griffen’s request for a trade to GWS.

“Ryan Griffen raised with me some concerns about our Senior Coach the day after our best and fairest. I then organised for him to immediately relay those concerns to our Chief Executive, Simon Garlick. We both took Ryan’s concerns very seriously as did Brendan McCartney when he was informed of them,” Gordon said on the Bulldogs website.

“We arranged for Ryan to meet with Brendan and our Football Director, Chris Grant, and they discussed his concerns.  Brendan acknowledged some faults and agreed to work on them. At the conclusion of the meeting, Chris asked Ryan if he was happy with the meeting and agreeable to working with Macca on an ongoing basis.

“Ryan answered yes to both questions and added that while he was on leave he wanted to reflect upon whether he was best suited to captain the Club in the future.

“Having returned to Australia on Tuesday night and without any further discussion with us after giving that agreement, Ryan informed us that he had changed his mind.

“We were also informed that he was seeking a trade to GWS – with whom we now understand he was in communication during this time.

“We are extremely disappointed at his approach and have no intention of indulging it.”

– with The Age

What do you think of the Griffen bombshell? Post a comment below

Digital Editions


  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence…

More News

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…

  • Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Smartwatches and other wearable devices are ubiquitous in the world of sport and fitness. But how accurate are their measurements when other variables are in play? That’s exactly what Deakin…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Altona’s $80 million man

    Altona’s $80 million man

    An Altona man has become Victoria’s biggest ever lottery winner by taking home the entire $80 million jackpot in Thursday’s Powerball draw. “Oh my god! Are you joking?!” the retiree…

  • Aery’s big moment

    Aery’s big moment

    At just 16, Druids’ Ira Aery is doing battle with some of the best cricketers in Australia. The teenager’s game has gone from strength to strength the past 12 months,…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…