MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Designs released for new Altona Pier

Designs released for new Altona Pier

The popular Altona Pier will be demolished and replaced with a new, modern design with construction set to commence late this year.

Ports and freight minister Melissa Horne announced the new designs on May 16, which depict a pier with an angled, y-shaped head and a timber pier deck.

The original Altona pier was built in the late 1800s, with significant repair works carried out in the 1980s. The pier is showing signs of structural failure that may pose a risk to public safety, and since being damaged in a severe storm in June last year, has been partially closed.

A consultation process for the new pier was undertaken in mid-2020 on three concept designs, with more than 1,200 people providing feedback, 60 per cent of which choosing the option announced by Ms Horne.

The new pier design features lighting to ensure safe pedestrian access, an accessible lower landing providing connection to the water for swimming and recreational boating, a pier head junction that provides space for emergency vehicles to turn safely and space for fishing, boating and pedestrians.

Unlike the current pier, the new design will be aligned to Pier Street, providing an improved connection to the Altona foreshore.

The redevelopment is funded through the state government’s $24 million Piers and Jetties Stimulus Package, with construction of the new pier set to be completed in late 2023.

Ms Horne said the improvements are “integral in creating one of Melbourne west’s most vibrant and highly desirable public spaces”.

“We know Altona Pier is highly popular with anglers, which is why we are investing in this upgrade to ensure it can continue to be a drawcard for visitors from across Melbourne,” she said.

Altona MP Jill Hennessy said she was excited to see the community’s aspirations for the pier at the heart of the design.

“The new Altona Pier design will improve the experience for anglers and pedestrians while also making it safer for all users,” she said.

Locals can view the published designs at https://www.parks.vic.gov.au/projects/melbourne-region/altona-pier-redevelopment.

Digital Editions


  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence…

More News

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…

  • Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Smartwatches and other wearable devices are ubiquitous in the world of sport and fitness. But how accurate are their measurements when other variables are in play? That’s exactly what Deakin…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Altona’s $80 million man

    Altona’s $80 million man

    An Altona man has become Victoria’s biggest ever lottery winner by taking home the entire $80 million jackpot in Thursday’s Powerball draw. “Oh my god! Are you joking?!” the retiree…

  • Aery’s big moment

    Aery’s big moment

    At just 16, Druids’ Ira Aery is doing battle with some of the best cricketers in Australia. The teenager’s game has gone from strength to strength the past 12 months,…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…