MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Flood victims consider legal action

Flood victims consider legal action

Carbone Lawyers has started initial discussions with Maribyrnong flood victims towards a potential class action against the Victoria Racing Club [VRC].

The Victoria Racing Club [VRC] built the flood wall around the Flemington Racecourse in 2007, after receiving approval from the state government to undertake upgrade and flood protection in 2004.

As reported by Star Weekly, Melbourne Water has launched a review of the decision to erect the flood wall around Flemington Racecourse following the flooding event along the Maribyrnong River on Friday, October 14.

Money raised from the Melbourne Cup Carnival will be donated to flood relief efforts, with the VRC initially pledging $500,000.

VRC chairman Neil Wilson said the Melbourne Cup Carnival would use its platform to raise awareness of the ongoing flooding situation across the country.

“As we embark on the celebration that stops the nation, we are also acutely aware that right across the country, Australians are dealing with the devastation caused by the floods,” he said.

“Our thoughts are with those living in communities impacted by the floods.”

The VRC will announce the final amount raised through the Melbourne Cup Carnival on Saturday, November 5.

Carbone Lawyers personal injury law and litigation head John Karantzis said they were still in the early stages of investigation concerning the potential class action.

“We’re taking inquiries from potential registrants,” he said.

“A lot of people have been affected.”

Mr Karantzis said Carbone Lawyers were also investigating a number of the causes of the flooding.

“Potentially, we could be looking at any authorities that gave the planning approval for the wall,” he said.

Mr Karantzis said about 150 individuals have so far registered during the initial stages of the class action investigation, with anyone who suffered damage to their property encouraged to register.

Maribyrnong resident Jane Trewin has been advocating for better flood management along the Maribyrnong River for a number of decades alongside her late husband Shane, including pushing for the construction of the Arundel retarding basin and pushing against the construction of the Flemington Racecourse flood wall.

“We probably wouldn’t be in the situation we are now,” she said.

Mrs Trewin said the past week and a half had been “gut-wrenching” to see the damage felt across the Maribyrnong community.

“I’ve lost my marital home,” she said.

“I’m living out of my car at the moment.

“I can’t think straight.

“The river is everything to me mentally.”.

Details: www.carbonelawyers.com.au or 1800 369 888

Digital Editions


  • Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City is hoping for a smoother Victorian Premier League 2 season than the pre-season it’s had so far. Injuries have interrupted the preparation of…

More News

  • Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    The tiny, et very mighty, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra is making its way to the west later this month. The orchestra will present its new show Flexible Sky, starring Slava Grigoryan,…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…

  • Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Gang squad detectives have charged a man and seized drugs, cash and a knife following raids on properties in Altona and South Kingsville on Tuesday. Police will allege that upon…

  • New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    Premier Jacinta Allan has toured the emergency department (ED) at the new Footscray Hospital on Tuesday morning, 24 hours before it welcomes its first patients. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas, Mental…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities…

  • Surf club claims rejected

    Surf club claims rejected

    Hobsons Bay council has denied misleading the public over how much money it has committed to the proposed redevelopment of the Williamstown Swimming and Surf Lifesaving Club (WSLSC). In a…

  • Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534279 Williamstown’s Andy Griffiths is one of Australia’s popular children’s authors with his books such as the Treehouse series and the BUM trilogy selling…

  • Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    With the new Footscray Hospital is finally set to open this week, local residents are being warned to not expect any redevelopment of the old hospital any time soon. The…

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…