MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » Uncategorized » Yarraville Gardens food truck rethink after public outcry

Yarraville Gardens food truck rethink after public outcry

LATEST: Maribyrnong Council may back down from its decision to cap the number of food trucks at Yarraville Gardens following widespread community outcry.

As reported in the Star Weekly on Wednesday, the council last Friday began serving notices on mobile food van operators announcing a “permit zone” at the gardens which imposes a limit of six food trucks at any one time, despite up to 25 permits being available for food trucks to operate in Maribyrnong.

Up to 20 trucks have been parking at Yarraville Gardens on the weekend, creating one of the world’s largest ‘food truck jams’.

The restriction were rushed into place to address concerns about the amount of rubbish being left behind, public toilets unable to cope with the influx of visitors, and reduced parking access for park users.

But the Council will review the limit following public feedback calling for more trucks to be allowed to trade there.

But the council will review the following public feedback calling for more trucks to be allowed to trade there.

Mr Burger general manager Maleik Edwards appeared at Tuesday night’s council meeting to express concerns on behalf of truck operators that the new restrictions had been rushed in without discussion on a suitable solution.

He said operators believed the rubbish issue could be managed without such a drastic change.

Councillors Michael Clarke and Sarah Carter expressed concern the changes had come in so quickly and without better consultation.

Maribyrnong mayor Grant Miles on Wednesday said he requested a review of the restrictions after receiving feedback from the public.

“Food trucks add life to our public areas, and we support them through allocating locations at nine public parks across the city that have become popular eating spots for residents and visitors.

“While the public toilet issues in the park remain and need to be addressed, I will be asking council to review the limit to allow residents and visitors to keep enjoying food trucks in our parks. I’d like to see more food trucks be allowed to trade in the area.”

RELATED

Yarraville Gardens food truck crackdown sparks backlash

Digital Editions


  • Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    The Mount Players has an exciting 2026 season coming up, with the first show about to open at the Mountview Theatre. Rehearsals have been in…

More News

  • New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    Premier Jacinta Allan has toured the emergency department (ED) at the new Footscray Hospital on Tuesday morning, 24 hours before it welcomes its first patients. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas, Mental…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities…

  • Surf club claims rejected

    Surf club claims rejected

    Hobsons Bay council has denied misleading the public over how much money it has committed to the proposed redevelopment of the Williamstown Swimming and Surf Lifesaving Club (WSLSC). In a…

  • Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534279 Williamstown’s Andy Griffiths is one of Australia’s popular children’s authors with his books such as the Treehouse series and the BUM trilogy selling…

  • Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    With the new Footscray Hospital is finally set to open this week, local residents are being warned to not expect any redevelopment of the old hospital any time soon. The…

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…

  • Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Neighbourhood houses and community centres from across Hobsons Bay joined forces on Friday morning to demand increased funding for the sector. The rally was organised by Newport Community Education Centre…

  • Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534275 Maribyrnong filmmaker Stephen Packer is one of 15 finalists at Tropfest, the world’s largest short film festival, which returns for the first time…

  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence of the risk it posed…

  • Hit and run in Kingsville

    Hit and run in Kingsville

    Police are investigating a hit and run collision in Kingsville on Sunday night. Emergency services were called to Geelong Road about 7.15pm on 15 February after reports a pedestrian had…