MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Yarraville dwelling development approved despite initial opposing vote

Yarraville dwelling development approved despite initial opposing vote

The Maribyrnong council City Development Delegated Committee has granted a permit for the construction of multiple dwellings on a lot at 336 Nicholson Street in Yarraville, despite a previous lost motion to approve the permit and a number of objections to the permit.

During the committee’s Tuesday, February 28 meeting, councillors voted in support of granting a permit, four votes to three.

The permit application has outlined plans for the construction of four dwellings on one lot, with each dwelling consisting of three bedrooms, open plan living areas and two car spaces, estimated to cost $1.5 million to build.

Despite being presented with a motion including a number of conditions resolving issues with the street setback and site coverage, the committee voted against the motion to grant the permit during its August 2022 meeting, with the motion being lost five votes to two.

However, the council did not pass a motion to refuse the permit, meaning the permit application remained live and the original motion returned unchanged after three months had passed following the original decision.

Additional conditions included that amended plans be submitted back to Maribyrnong council for approval, which would be modified to satisfy a number of clauses within the Maribyrnong Planning Scheme and vehicular crossings must be constructed and/or modified to the road to suit the proposed driveways.

The application was advertised and 18 objections were received relating to neighbourhood character, amenity, parking, legal right to use Parkes Lane, traffic volumes and overdevelopment.

Maribyrnong councillor Anthony Tran spoke in support of the permit approval and said while he appreciated there were grey areas, he said there was a need for more affordable housing.

Berry Street resident Bonnie Hamilton said having the permit approved after believing the permit was lost was “very upsetting”.

“It just seems ridiculous,” she said.

Mrs Hamilton said she believed justifying the approval of the planning permit due to the value of providing affordable housing was “incorrect”.

“The council is supposed to be about protecting the future of the area.”

Mrs Hamilton said while she had a number of concerns about the development, its impact on her property’s exposure to sunlight was especially significant for her family.

“We have two young kids who play in this backyard,” she said.

“Having only one to three hours sunlight for the majority of the year will be dreadful.”

Nicholson Street resident Shaun Farrell said the proposal represented an overdevelopment of the subject land.

“[It] will result in visual and built form bulk that does not respect the neighbourhood character of the locality,” he said.

Digital Editions


  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence…

More News

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…

  • Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Smartwatches and other wearable devices are ubiquitous in the world of sport and fitness. But how accurate are their measurements when other variables are in play? That’s exactly what Deakin…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Altona’s $80 million man

    Altona’s $80 million man

    An Altona man has become Victoria’s biggest ever lottery winner by taking home the entire $80 million jackpot in Thursday’s Powerball draw. “Oh my god! Are you joking?!” the retiree…

  • Aery’s big moment

    Aery’s big moment

    At just 16, Druids’ Ira Aery is doing battle with some of the best cricketers in Australia. The teenager’s game has gone from strength to strength the past 12 months,…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…