MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Techno Park residents already homeless

Techno Park residents already homeless

The Techno Park Residents Association says some people living in the Williamstown estate have already become homeless, despite Hobsons Bay mayor Tony Briffa stating that was never council’s intention.

As reported by Star Weekly, on Monday, August 7, Cr Briffa released a statement about council’s decision to issue eviction letters to people living in the estate at Techno Park Drive.

The estate is zoned as industrial land and is adjacent to a Mobil fuel storage site on Kororoit Creek Road.

Council issued the eviction letters on May 18 and last month apologised for the way it had handled the situation.

In her statement, Cr Briffa said “council has no intention of seeing anyone become homeless”, and urged residents who needed to support to contact the council.

But the residents association said some people had already become homeless.

“There are landlords and real estate agents who followed council’s direction and evicted their tenants immediately, or in the following months,” a statement from the association read.

“Others remain living in their homes but are suffering daily from fear and anxiety for their future, people are sleepless and are struggling at work.

“For many, this threat against our homes and community is unbearable.”

The association also refuted Cr Briffa’s claims that council has never accepted residents living in Techno Park Drive.

“For decades, council has accepted pet registrations to Techno Park addresses,” the association said.

“People have voted in council elections while on the electoral roll at Techno Park addresses.”

The residents are calling on council to find an alternative solution to their eviction.

“If we’re talking about the welfare of 100 residents, many of whom are vulnerable, why wouldn’t we do that?”

Digital Editions


  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence…

More News

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…

  • Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Smartwatches and other wearable devices are ubiquitous in the world of sport and fitness. But how accurate are their measurements when other variables are in play? That’s exactly what Deakin…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Altona’s $80 million man

    Altona’s $80 million man

    An Altona man has become Victoria’s biggest ever lottery winner by taking home the entire $80 million jackpot in Thursday’s Powerball draw. “Oh my god! Are you joking?!” the retiree…

  • Aery’s big moment

    Aery’s big moment

    At just 16, Druids’ Ira Aery is doing battle with some of the best cricketers in Australia. The teenager’s game has gone from strength to strength the past 12 months,…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…