MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Yarraville Gardens food truck cap cops backlash

Yarraville Gardens food truck cap cops backlash

Maribyrnong council is reviewing its controversial decision to cap the number of food trucks at Yarraville Gardens.

Star Weekly last week reported that a “permit zone” at the gardens, imposing a limit of six food trucks at any one time, had been rushed into place to address concerns about damaged public toilets and rubbish being left behind.

The council’s acting manager of sustainable development, Paul McKeon, said the limit was introduced after discussions with operators failed to fix issues, such as dumped rubbish created by up to 20 trucks being at the site and causing one of the world’s largest “food truck jams”.

“This number was chosen as it is a manageable number for the park that allows for the sharing of parking spaces with park visitors.”

But the council will review its cap after a public backlash and suggestions by Mr Burger general manager Maleik Edwards at Tuesday night’s council meeting that the new restrictions had been rushed in without adequate discussion with food truck operators.

Maribyrnong mayor Grant Miles said he requested a review of the restrictions after receiving feedback from the public.

“While the public toilet issues in the park remain and need to be addressed, I will be asking council to review the limit, to allow residents and visitors to keep enjoying food trucks in our parks. I’d like to see more food trucks be allowed to trade in the area.”

As reported by Star Weekly in April, Hobsons Bay has four sites where mobile operators are permitted: Point Gellibrand, Cherry Lake car park and Newport and Altona boat ramps.

Tuesday night’s Hobsons Bay council meeting heard they were “mobile operators” rather than food trucks, selling flowers, cappuccino, fruit and vegetables.

Tenders for the four sites were due by Wednesday, with the council confirming only one mobile operator per site will continue.

Digital Editions


  • Doctor design

    Doctor design

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 Like dozens of his colleagues, Western Health anaesthetist Dr David Bramley was enjoying the spacious and modern surroundings…

More News

  • Focus on transport future

    Focus on transport future

    Transport affects every part of daily life. It shapes how we get to work and school, connect with friends and family, and enjoy our beautiful city. That’s why it’s so…

  • Faces of the west

    Faces of the west

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532699 Each week Star Weekly photographers are out and about capturing events and people across the west.

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 The Newport Lakes Bush Dance Newport Fiddle and Folk Club’s annual bush dance is on 15 March and has been made possible through…

  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which catapults the listener into an…

  • Sports’ finals joy

    Sports’ finals joy

    After a number of tough seasons, Altona Sports is excited for a big finals series in the Bowls Victoria pennant competitions. Having had its top side drop from division 1…

  • Footscray’s day of hospital history

    Footscray’s day of hospital history

    Almost a decade since it was first announced and half a decade since it first broke ground, the new Footscray Hospital is now open. The doors of the $1.5 billion…

  • Health workers rally on new hospital

    Health workers rally on new hospital

    Thousands of striking health workers have rallied outside the new Footscray Hospital on its opening day on Wednesday, despite a personal intervention from the premier leading to a breakthrough in…

  • Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City is hoping for a smoother Victorian Premier League 2 season than the pre-season it’s had so far. Injuries have interrupted the preparation of the side under new coach…

  • Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    A magistrate has committed a man to stand trial over the rape of a grandmother more than 40 years ago. However, he has been cleared over an alleged second rape…