MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » Uncategorized » Altona woman’s kidnapping: Supreme Court denies prisoner’s appeal bid

Altona woman’s kidnapping: Supreme Court denies prisoner’s appeal bid

A prisoner last week lost his bid to appeal a nine-year sentence for kidnapping an Altona woman at gunpoint.

The Supreme Court also refused John Booth’s application to appeal his conviction.

Booth was last year convicted in the County Court on charges of criminal damage, aggravated burglary, assault and kidnapping, and sentenced to nine years and three months with a minimum of seven years.

On April 26, 2011, Booth had gone to Volt nightclub at Werribee Plaza, where his friend and another man got into an argument over the latter’s girlfriend. The dispute escalated into a fight between two groups outside the club.

Booth and his friends drove from Volt to the Altona home of the other man’s girlfriend and broke every window of her unit. He then returned with two other men early the next morning.

The woman and her mother were sharing a bed because they felt insecure. They woke to find three masked men ordering them out of bed. Booth was holding a sawn-off shotgun and

the younger woman was dragged by her hair from the bedroom to the lounge, as the men tried to ascertain her boyfriend’s whereabouts.

When the woman said she did not know, she was dragged outside to a car and ordered into the boot. One of the men raised his gun and fired into the air before the car was driven to Booth’s home.

The woman was locked in the boot of the car for about eight hours before being released. She said her kidnappers opened the boot several times, including once when Booth wanted the phone number of the victim’s boyfriend.

Booth applied to appeal his conviction on the sole ground the trial judge erred in admitting into evidence the victim’s boyfriend’s statement about the events at Volt nightclub.

Supreme Court Justice Robert Redlich disagreed, saying the boyfriend’s evidence provided a motive that was highly relevant.

“The ruling was, if I may say so, impeccable,” Justice Redlich said.

Booth sought leave to appeal his sentence on the grounds that the trial judge erred in rejecting evidence relating to his IQ and failing to obtain a forensic assessment of him.

Justice Redlich said the sentencing judge had concluded Booth suffered no relevant intellectual deficit or mental disorder and refused to order a forensic assessment.

Digital Editions


  • Volunteer hails new hospital

    Volunteer hails new hospital

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 The new Footscray Hospital is much bigger, more modern, offers many more services and is much more conveniently…

More News

  • Faces of the west

    Faces of the west

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532699 Each week Star Weekly photographers are out and about capturing events and people across the west.

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 The Newport Lakes Bush Dance Newport Fiddle and Folk Club’s annual bush dance is on 15 March and has been made possible through…

  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which catapults the listener into an…

  • Sports’ finals joy

    Sports’ finals joy

    After a number of tough seasons, Altona Sports is excited for a big finals series in the Bowls Victoria pennant competitions. Having had its top side drop from division 1…

  • Footscray’s day of hospital history

    Footscray’s day of hospital history

    Almost a decade since it was first announced and half a decade since it first broke ground, the new Footscray Hospital is now open. The doors of the $1.5 billion…

  • Health workers rally on new hospital

    Health workers rally on new hospital

    Thousands of striking health workers have rallied outside the new Footscray Hospital on its opening day on Wednesday, despite a personal intervention from the premier leading to a breakthrough in…

  • Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City is hoping for a smoother Victorian Premier League 2 season than the pre-season it’s had so far. Injuries have interrupted the preparation of the side under new coach…

  • Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    A magistrate has committed a man to stand trial over the rape of a grandmother more than 40 years ago. However, he has been cleared over an alleged second rape…

  • New chapter for festival

    New chapter for festival

    Lovers of literature rejoice! The Brimbank Writers and Readers Festival is returning next month for its biggest event to date. Thirty-four events will run over six days, from 12-17 March,…