MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Seabrook child abuser to appeal against sentence

Seabrook child abuser to appeal against sentence

A Seabrook man has been sentenced to six months’ jail and placed on the sex offender register for 15 years for the sexual abuse of two boys in the 1980s.

Richard James Gilbert, 59, pleaded guilty in the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Monday to three counts of indecent assault carried out in Melbourne’s west between September, 1987, and September, 1989.

Gilbert had originally denied the charges but changed his plea to guilty after a second victim came forward.

Gilbert, a single parent of three teenage children, has been bailed pending a sentencing appeal to the County Court.

The court heard Gilbert was 32 when he abused the first victim, then aged 13. The two victims are now aged 40.

Outside court, the first victim said he reported the abuse to police in 2012 because he wanted closure.

The victim, who said he moved to Mornington to get away, said the abuse had a devastating impact on his life.

“I have got mental illness,” he said. “I have nightmares constantly. I have been a very violent person because of this.”

He said Gilbert had gone to school with his father and been a close family friend.

“[Gilbert] used to stay at my parents’ place a fair bit,” the victim said. “He lived in Sunshine. At the time, I lived in Braybrook and he used to stay over a fair bit. We used to have family get-togethers, stuff like that, and he used to stay in the same bedroom … quite a few times he asked if it could happen.”

The victim said the abuse eventually stopped when he rebelled.

The second victim, from Maidstone, said outside court he always wondered what sort of man he would have been had the abuse not happened.

He said Gilbert had “wormed his way” into his family when he was a teenager.

“It just destroyed me, I guess, just changed the type of person I would have been,” he said. “I’m a cold person, no emotions. I’ve only had a couple of relationships in 20 years.

“I’ve been single for 11 years now, so it’s basically destroyed me. I can’t get close to people.”

The victims said it had been a relief to meet each other.

Digital Editions


  • Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    The Mount Players has an exciting 2026 season coming up, with the first show about to open at the Mountview Theatre. Rehearsals have been in…

More News

  • New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    Premier Jacinta Allan has toured the emergency department (ED) at the new Footscray Hospital on Tuesday morning, 24 hours before it welcomes its first patients. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas, Mental…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities…

  • Surf club claims rejected

    Surf club claims rejected

    Hobsons Bay council has denied misleading the public over how much money it has committed to the proposed redevelopment of the Williamstown Swimming and Surf Lifesaving Club (WSLSC). In a…

  • Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534279 Williamstown’s Andy Griffiths is one of Australia’s popular children’s authors with his books such as the Treehouse series and the BUM trilogy selling…

  • Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    With the new Footscray Hospital is finally set to open this week, local residents are being warned to not expect any redevelopment of the old hospital any time soon. The…

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…

  • Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Neighbourhood houses and community centres from across Hobsons Bay joined forces on Friday morning to demand increased funding for the sector. The rally was organised by Newport Community Education Centre…

  • Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534275 Maribyrnong filmmaker Stephen Packer is one of 15 finalists at Tropfest, the world’s largest short film festival, which returns for the first time…

  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence of the risk it posed…

  • Hit and run in Kingsville

    Hit and run in Kingsville

    Police are investigating a hit and run collision in Kingsville on Sunday night. Emergency services were called to Geelong Road about 7.15pm on 15 February after reports a pedestrian had…