MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Whitten Oval access restored

Whitten Oval access restored

Public access to Spurling Reserve and Whitten Oval has been restored after a resident questioned why the community could not use the reserve “more than 50 per cent of the time”.

A resident raised concerns about access to the Footscray reserve and oval during the July 23 Maribyrnong council meeting, asking council why the Western Bulldogs only allowed “intermittent” public access to the reserve.

The resident said a condition of the council-issued permit for the redevelopment of Whitten Oval stipulated that the oval and Spurling Reserve must remain open to the public at all times, except for approved match days.

“It is noted, however, that access to Whitten Oval is provided intermittently and is restricted more that 50 per cent of the time. For example on Sunday, June 23, access was fully restricted. Access is also restricted daily between 6pm and 7am,” the resident said.

Council confirmed that the planning permit required the oval and reserve to be open to the public outside of match days.

“The Western Bulldogs have confirmed that, except for match days, the oval is open to the public from 7am daily and closes at 6pm, or at 8pm during daylight saving,” council said.

“Council officers have advised the Western Bulldogs that this arrangement does not comply with their obligations under the planning permit and are working towards full compliance.”

A Western Bulldogs spokesperson acknowledge there were “isolated occasions” when Whitten Oval was not publicly accessible, the cause of which has been identified and rectified.

““We have also made extensive efforts to clarify and provide certainty regarding hours of accessibility, including the installation of new signage,” the spokesperson said.

“We look forward to sharing our new upgraded facilities with the local community for many years to come.”

Digital Editions


  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence…

More News

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…

  • Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Smartwatches and other wearable devices are ubiquitous in the world of sport and fitness. But how accurate are their measurements when other variables are in play? That’s exactly what Deakin…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Altona’s $80 million man

    Altona’s $80 million man

    An Altona man has become Victoria’s biggest ever lottery winner by taking home the entire $80 million jackpot in Thursday’s Powerball draw. “Oh my god! Are you joking?!” the retiree…

  • Aery’s big moment

    Aery’s big moment

    At just 16, Druids’ Ira Aery is doing battle with some of the best cricketers in Australia. The teenager’s game has gone from strength to strength the past 12 months,…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…