MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » Uncategorized » Altona: Council moves to restructure ‘dead’ Burns Road industrial estate

Altona: Council moves to restructure ‘dead’ Burns Road industrial estate

Landowners in an Altona estate that has lain dormant for 85 years may be a small step closer to being able to develop their land.

Hobsons Bay council last week voted to allocate $30,000 for a facilitator to try to reach agreement between multiple landowners in the Burns Road industrial estate. The estate, which was subdivided in 1929, has more than 500 lots with an average size of 640 square metres.

Originally zoned residential, the estate is now zoned special use 4, which provides for various land uses that “do not prejudice the operations and expansion of the petroleum industry”.

As reported by Star Weekly, landowners are angered at collectively paying more than $130,000 in rates annually despite having “dead land” with no utilities. They say obstacle after obstacle has stopped them from making good on their investment.

The council’s planning scheme states that lots under two hectares cannot be developed.

Residential density controls were also introduced in 1993 to protect the petrochemical industry and minimise the number of casualties in the event of a major accident.

The estate’s unmade roads don’t meet the 20-metre standard for industrial roads, and, to top it off, the estate contains areas of grassland and spiny rice flower protected by law.

One land owner with a frontage to Harcourt Road has consolidated his lots, meaning he may be able to develop his portion of the site.

Michael Sergi said it had been a decade-long battle. “We’re looking forward to helping all the other residents bring their loads forward by working closely with council,” he said.

“There needs to be a structure plan for the whole site to go forward now.’’

Acting council chief executive Natalie Walker said an assessment found many of the constraints were beyond the council’s control.

“The assessment concluded the single biggest impediment to restructuring the estate was landowner agreement,” she said.

A report is expected to be completed by October next year.

Digital Editions


  • Right royal progress

    Right royal progress

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 432421 Williamstown amateur historian Barb McNeill is Star Weekly’s history columnist. This week she recounts a drama-filled visit to…

More News

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on 11 April, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Women’s history centre stage

    Women’s history centre stage

    A special one-off theatrical performance is coming to the Kyneton Town Hall in celebration of International Women’s Day. In 2026, the theme for International Women’s Day is #BalanceTheScales – a…

  • Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post is celebrating the Year of the Horse with the release of its Lunar New Year stamp as well as its first ever ‘DigiStamp’. The traditional Lunar New Year…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options are set to become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher seatbelt and distracted-driving enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are appealing for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Imperials through

    Imperials through

    Williamstown Imperials will be looking to cause an upset in the Victorian Turf Cricket Association group A T20 grand final. The Imperials, the only non-senior division side left in the…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    Star Weekly looks back on the pages of our predecessors. 40 years ago 26 February, 1986 Williamstown will not get its promised $1.2 million boat launching ramp. 30 years ago…