MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » State to crack whip on councils over housing targets

State to crack whip on councils over housing targets

Hobsons Bay council has welcomed a reduction in the amount of new homes it is expected to build by 2051 in final housing targets released by the state government on Monday.

Having originally been set a target of 31,000 new homes when the policy was first announced last year, the municipality is now being asked to accommodate 22,500 new dwellings by mid-century.

A spokesperson for Hobsons bay council said they had been advocating to the state government for a reduction since the initial targets were announced in June last year .

“Council is therefore pleased to see the state government’s reduction of Hobsons Bay’s housing target by 27 per cent,” said the spokesperson, adding that more information on the location and composition of the new homes was still needed.

“Council remains committed to collaborating with the state government in support of housing growth and addressing the state’s housing shortages.”

Maribyrnong council’s target was only marginally reduced, with 48,000 homes now expected rather 49,000.

Ninety-two of those new homes will be at a social housing development in Wightman Street, Footscray that Premier Jacinta Allan announced on the same day as the final housing targets.

The Victorian opposition has accused the government of trying to shift responsibility for fixing the housing crisis to councils and undermining local democracy.

“It’s not up to them to pass the buck to local government,” opposition local government minister Bev McArthur said.

Inner-city areas have not shouldered their fair share of Melbourne’s housing growth over the past three decades, Premier Jacinta Allan said.

Boroondara in the city’s east and Bayside in the southeast grew by 24 and 28 per cent respectively, in comparison to the outer suburban areas of Melton (433 per cent), Wyndham (346 per cent) and Casey (211 per cent).

While the City of Melbourne (119,500) has the largest final target, Melton (109,000), Wyndham (99,000) and Casey (87,000) have still been saddled with more of the burden than all other inner and middle ring areas.

Ms Kilkenny repeatedly insisted the state-first targets were based on “fairness and equity”.

They were not accompanied with specified plans to build more schools, hospitals and roads to accommodate for the future population boom.

However, Ms Kilkenny pointed out the government was preparing to roll out an infrastructure contribution trial in 2027 to replace “ad hoc” current arrangements for developers.

Digital Editions


  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on 11 April, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne.…

More News

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher seatbelt and distracted-driving enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are appealing for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Imperials through

    Imperials through

    Williamstown Imperials will be looking to cause an upset in the Victorian Turf Cricket Association group A T20 grand final. The Imperials, the only non-senior division side left in the…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    Star Weekly looks back on the pages of our predecessors. 40 years ago 26 February, 1986 Williamstown will not get its promised $1.2 million boat launching ramp. 30 years ago…

  • Doctor design

    Doctor design

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 Like dozens of his colleagues, Western Health anaesthetist Dr David Bramley was enjoying the spacious and modern surroundings of the new Footscray Hospital…

  • Volunteer hails new hospital

    Volunteer hails new hospital

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 The new Footscray Hospital is much bigger, more modern, offers many more services and is much more conveniently located than its predecessor. But…

  • Footscray Hospital’s opening day

    Footscray Hospital’s opening day

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 The opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday 18 February was a landmark event for the western suburbs, with the state of…

  • Hit and run investigated

    Hit and run investigated

    Police are appealing to anyone who witnessed a hit and run collision in South Kingsville on Thursday night to come forward. Emergency services were called to Blackshaws Road about 11pm…

  • Stars coming to Altona North

    Stars coming to Altona North

    International box lacrosse is coming to Altona North. Both the Next Gen Series and the IIJL Commonwealth Cup are being hosted at Alan Lewer Box Court. The inaugural Next Gen…