MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » ‘Pam the Bird’ accused makes fresh bid for freedom

‘Pam the Bird’ accused makes fresh bid for freedom

The accused graffiti vandal behind “Pam the Bird” has made a fresh bid for freedom, with his grandmother promising to keep him in line if he is released.

Jack Gibson-Burrell, 21, allegedly broke into Victorian train stations, abseiled off buildings and scaled heritage-listed sites to spray-paint the cartoon-like bird.

He’s further accused of stabbing a man in West Footscray, punching a worker in the face at Emporium Melbourne, stealing multiple cars in Torquay and ramraiding a Nandos restaurant in Footscray.

Gibson-Burrell was denied bail on February 5 when Magistrate Johanna Metcalf found he was an unacceptable risk of reoffending because the social media notoriety was too enticing for him.

Barrister Peter Matthews SC made another application on Tuesday, claiming the risk was now reduced because Gibson-Burrell had a stable address, job prospects and a $30,000 surety.

His grandmother Joan Bell, 78, told the court Gibson-Burrell could live at her home in Geelong and she would ensure he followed any bail conditions.

She had previously worked at a backpackers and as a festival security guard so she knew how to handle young people, Ms Bell told the court.

“It’s my house, my rules,” she said.

Ms Bell accepted her grandson had a Ballarat job offer and she would be willing to drive close to three hours a day to bring him to work if needed, given he only held a learner’s permit.

“If that’s required, that’s what I’ll do,” she said.

Gibson-Burrell’s friend Finley Dale also offered up a $30,000 guarantee to the court, understanding he would lose his money if his friend breached his bail conditions.

Mr Matthews said the job offer, surety and stable address were protective factors to reduce the risk of reoffending.

The court could also impose conditions like a curfew, mandatory reporting at the police station and a ban on spray-painting graffiti if needed, Mr Matthews said.

But Senior Constable Scott Nicholls urged the magistrate to once again refuse Gibson-Burrell bail, maintaining he was still a danger to the community.

He told the court Gibson-Burrell’s offending had escalated and he did not believe Ms Bell would be able to restrain him.

“If he is released on bail, I believe he will wreak havoc on Victorian streets,” Senior Constable Nicholls said.

Ms Metcalf is due to hand down her bail decision on Thursday morning.

Digital Editions


  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with an inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the…

More News

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options are set to become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher seatbelt and distracted-driving enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are appealing for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Imperials through

    Imperials through

    Williamstown Imperials will be looking to cause an upset in the Victorian Turf Cricket Association group A T20 grand final. The Imperials, the only non-senior division side left in the…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    Star Weekly looks back on the pages of our predecessors. 40 years ago 26 February, 1986 Williamstown will not get its promised $1.2 million boat launching ramp. 30 years ago…

  • Doctor design

    Doctor design

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 Like dozens of his colleagues, Western Health anaesthetist Dr David Bramley was enjoying the spacious and modern surroundings of the new Footscray Hospital…

  • Volunteer hails new hospital

    Volunteer hails new hospital

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 The new Footscray Hospital is much bigger, more modern, offers many more services and is much more conveniently located than its predecessor. But…

  • Footscray Hospital’s opening day

    Footscray Hospital’s opening day

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 The opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday 18 February was a landmark event for the western suburbs, with the state of…

  • Hit and run investigated

    Hit and run investigated

    Police are appealing to anyone who witnessed a hit and run collision in South Kingsville on Thursday night to come forward. Emergency services were called to Blackshaws Road about 11pm…