MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Greens defend memorial vote

Greens defend memorial vote

Three Maribyrnong councillors who voted against a proposal to name a meeting room at the council chambers after Les Twentyman, have defended their decision, arguing the late youth worker deserves better recognition.

Greens councillors Bernadette Thomas, Samantha Meredith and Elena Pereyra sparked outrage when they voted against the proposal at a council meeting on April 15.

The proposal was carried 4-3, but Mr Twentyman’s widow, Cherie Coon, who was present at the meeting, expressed anger at the councillors who opposed it.

“It was disgraceful and an insult to the memory of Les who has given so much to the community in Maribyrnong,” said Ms Coon who added that mayor Pradeep Tiwari apologised to her afterwards.

Les Twentyman Foundation chief executive Paul Burke was also present and said it was disappointing to have been invited to what should have been a celebration of Mr Twentyman’s life and legacy, but instead became a topic of debate.

“We are stunned that three councillors would vote against a memorial for such a significant local community figure, whose work over many decades has helped thousands of kids in Maribyrnong to a brighter future – for that discussion to happen in front of his widow was appalling.”

Speaking on behalf of the three Greens councillors, Cr Thomas said Mr Twentyman deserved a memorial that reflected his decades of youth work in the community.

“We fully support doing more to honour his legacy, and given his life-long dedication to youth work, would love for the memorial to be really visible in spaces young people use,” Cr Thomas said.

“We wanted to see the council choose a different location than a meeting room, in consultation with young people in our community, his family, and the foundation. If that isn’t possible, we still support the memorial.“

Cr Thomas and Cr Pereyra made similar arguments at Tuesday night’s meeting where both appeared via video link.

They argued naming a basketball court at Rec West in Braybrook after Mr Twentyman would be a more fitting, but Cr Cuc Lam, who moved the motion, disagreed, saying it wouldn’t be appropriate.

Cr Meredith was the only Greens councillor present at the meeting, but did not speak on the proposal, later telling Star Weekly she was not afforded time.

Cr Meredith said she wanted more time to discuss a better memorial for Mr Twentyman and that she tried to explain this to his widow, Ms Coon.

She said the Greens councillor’s voted independently and not as a block.

The Les Twentyman Foundation is expected to meet with the three councillors to discuss the matter.

Mr Twentyman died in March last year aged 76 after a long illness.

Digital Editions


  • Health workers rally on new hospital

    Health workers rally on new hospital

    Thousands of striking health workers have rallied outside the new Footscray Hospital on its opening day on Wednesday, despite a personal intervention from the premier…

More News

  • Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    The Mount Players has an exciting 2026 season coming up, with the first show about to open at the Mountview Theatre. Rehearsals have been in full swing as the players…

  • Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    The tiny, et very mighty, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra is making its way to the west later this month. The orchestra will present its new show Flexible Sky, starring Slava Grigoryan,…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…

  • Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Gang squad detectives have charged a man and seized drugs, cash and a knife following raids on properties in Altona and South Kingsville on Tuesday. Police will allege that upon…

  • New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    Premier Jacinta Allan has toured the emergency department (ED) at the new Footscray Hospital on Tuesday morning, 24 hours before it welcomes its first patients. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas, Mental…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities…

  • Surf club claims rejected

    Surf club claims rejected

    Hobsons Bay council has denied misleading the public over how much money it has committed to the proposed redevelopment of the Williamstown Swimming and Surf Lifesaving Club (WSLSC). In a…

  • Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534279 Williamstown’s Andy Griffiths is one of Australia’s popular children’s authors with his books such as the Treehouse series and the BUM trilogy selling…

  • Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    With the new Footscray Hospital is finally set to open this week, local residents are being warned to not expect any redevelopment of the old hospital any time soon. The…