MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » Sport » Beveridge signs for another two years

Beveridge signs for another two years

Luke Beveridge remains the man for the Western Bulldogs after signing a two-year deal to stay on as coach, in a move the finals-chasing AFL club hopes can bring stability.

The Bulldogs have extended 2016 premiership mentor Beveridge’s tenure, already the club’s longest at 229 games, until the end of 2027, which would mark 13 seasons at Whitten Oval.

It means the club, currently sitting ninth at 6-6, can turn their focus to locking in out-of-contract captain Marcus Bontempelli while attempting to seal a finals berth and top-four spot.

“This extension – the result of a considered and communicative process – means our men’s footy program can progress with confidence and stability as we look forward to the second half of this season and beyond,” Bulldogs CEO Ameet Bains said.

Beveridge, in his 11th year, was coming off contract at season’s end and both parties were comfortable with starting 2025 without a deal for next year.

Mere months ago, Beveridge, 54, and the Bulldogs were unsure if they were going to remain in partnership beyond this season, after a roller coaster past few years.

But amid an impressive start to 2025, Beveridge ruled out coaching any other club in April.

Beveridge, who does not have a manager, had regularly met with the Bulldogs’ hierarchy, before sealing his new deal midway through the season.

“I am honoured to renew my commitment to our great club beyond this year as I endeavour to be the best leader, ambassador and coach that I can be for our people, our members and those who support us,” Beveridge said.

Beveridge joined the Bulldogs at the end of 2014, made finals in his first season then won the club’s first premiership since 1954 with the drought-breaking triumph in 2016.

His first 10 seasons delivered seven finals campaigns.

The Bulldogs made the 2021 grand final but finished eighth a year later then missed the finals altogether in 2023, prompting an extensive review of its football department at the end of that season.

Last year, the Bulldogs suffered an elimination-final exit to Hawthorn, while midfielder Bailey Smith departed for Geelong, piling further pressure on Beveridge heading into his contract year.

But Beveridge has the Bulldogs at 6-6 and showing form that can match it with the AFL’s best, despite being without Bontempelli, Sam Darcy, Cody Weightman and Adam Treloar for various stints through injuries.

He has also had to manage the absence of former No.1 draft pick Jamarra Ugle-Hagan for the entire season to date due to personal issues.

Bulldogs president Kyle Watson-Wheeler hailed Beveridge as a “once-in-a-generation” coach.

“The considered process we have undertaken has resulted in the unanimous endorsement of the board and the unified belief that he is the best person to drive sustained success at the Bulldogs,” Watson-Wheeler said.

“As the game evolves, Luke continues to deliver a cutting-edge brand of footy and finds new ways to challenge and motivate our exciting playing group.”

The Bulldogs are expected to regain Darcy from a knee injury against St Kilda this Thursday.

Digital Editions


  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on 11 April, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne.…

More News

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher seatbelt and distracted-driving enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are appealing for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Imperials through

    Imperials through

    Williamstown Imperials will be looking to cause an upset in the Victorian Turf Cricket Association group A T20 grand final. The Imperials, the only non-senior division side left in the…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    Star Weekly looks back on the pages of our predecessors. 40 years ago 26 February, 1986 Williamstown will not get its promised $1.2 million boat launching ramp. 30 years ago…

  • Doctor design

    Doctor design

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 Like dozens of his colleagues, Western Health anaesthetist Dr David Bramley was enjoying the spacious and modern surroundings of the new Footscray Hospital…

  • Volunteer hails new hospital

    Volunteer hails new hospital

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 The new Footscray Hospital is much bigger, more modern, offers many more services and is much more conveniently located than its predecessor. But…

  • Footscray Hospital’s opening day

    Footscray Hospital’s opening day

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 The opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday 18 February was a landmark event for the western suburbs, with the state of…

  • Hit and run investigated

    Hit and run investigated

    Police are appealing to anyone who witnessed a hit and run collision in South Kingsville on Thursday night to come forward. Emergency services were called to Blackshaws Road about 11pm…

  • Stars coming to Altona North

    Stars coming to Altona North

    International box lacrosse is coming to Altona North. Both the Next Gen Series and the IIJL Commonwealth Cup are being hosted at Alan Lewer Box Court. The inaugural Next Gen…