MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Feedback sought on Australian Grand Prix

Feedback sought on Australian Grand Prix

The state government is seeking community feedback on proposed legislative changes aimed at supporting the Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix.

On Monday, July 28, the state announced the Australian Grand Prix Amendment Bill has been drafted to boost safety around the park – while supporting the annual event as it becomes more popular each year.

The 2025 Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix attracted more than 465,000 fans – a massive increase of more than 140,000 fans on the 2019 event.

As the events grows in popularity, the Australian Grand Prix Corporation (AGPC) is now setting up and dismantling the event outside of the current seven-day race period.

This means more construction workers and vehicles are operating in public areas beyond the race period – potentially putting pedestrians and cyclists at risk.

These proposed changes will aim to address this and include:

• Extending the race period for parts of Albert Park from seven days to up to 21 days while protecting public access – allowing essential works to be completed in a controlled environment to create a safer and more secure park during the race period

• Increasing the annual payment to Parks Victoria to support the maintenance and upkeep of Albert Park

• Enabling the Australian Grand Prix Corporation to host non-motor sport events – potentially bringing new events to Victoria and other corporate and intellectual property updates, ensuring legislation is fit for purpose.

The community consultation is aimed at ensuring Albert Park users and members of the local community are informed about proposed amendments and can have their say on how they are best implemented.

Tourism, Sport and Major Events Minister Steve Dimopoulos said the consultation will ensure the state is listening to the community as it creates a safer and more secure Albert Park.

According to the state, with the Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix secured in Melbourne until 2037, the changes proposed aim to strike a balance between supporting locals’ everyday use of Albert Park and the growth of an event that continues to be a significant economic driver for Victoria.

Stakeholders and the community are invited to provide submissions over the next two weeks on the changes.

Feedback can be provided online.

Details: engage.vic.gov.au.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…

  • Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Neighbourhood houses and community centres from across Hobsons Bay joined forces on Friday morning to demand increased funding for the sector. The rally was organised by Newport Community Education Centre…

  • Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534275 Maribyrnong filmmaker Stephen Packer is one of 15 finalists at Tropfest, the world’s largest short film festival, which returns for the first time…

  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence of the risk it posed…

  • Hit and run in Kingsville

    Hit and run in Kingsville

    Police are investigating a hit and run collision in Kingsville on Sunday night. Emergency services were called to Geelong Road about 7.15pm on 15 February after reports a pedestrian had…

  • Important win for A’s

    Important win for A’s

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534371 Altona got an important win in the context of its season and the finals race in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west. The…

  • Transport strategy on the move

    Transport strategy on the move

    Hobsons Bay residents can have their say on the municipality’s transport future, with engagement open for council’s Integrated Transport Strategy 2026-36. With Hobsons Bay’s population projected to grow to 105,000…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    VFLW Williamstown has announced the signing of Mia Zielinski for the Victorian Football League women’s season. A developing key forward, Zielinski joins the Seagulls after a strong stint with the…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…