MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » Sport » Falcons shock loss

Falcons shock loss

The City West Falcons will have to respond to its most disappointing performance in years if they are to keep alive their hopes of a fourth straight Victorian Netball League grand final.

The Falcons were left shell shocked on Wednesday as the Hawks put on a stunning display to not only beat the Falcons, but earn the first grand final spot.

There was only one goal between the teams at quarter time in the major semi final, before the Hawks started to take control.

Every time the Falcons looked like making a comeback, the Hawks had the answers.

The Hawks pressure increased in the final quarter as the Falcons crumbled to lose 60-49.

Falcons coach Marg Lind said nothing went right across the whole court.

“I don’t think defensively we stuck to the plan,” she said. “We played safe netball and we had no attack on the ball so we couldn’t turn the ball over especially in the first half.

“We went away from what we wanted to do and that was a lack of communication on the defenders end.

“Jane [Cook] wasn’t strong enough on the hold and we didn’t let the ball go. The speed of our game is what gets us the score.

“It was a terrible scoreline for us.”

Lind said it was frustrating seeing basic mistakes like stepping, fumbling or throwing the ball into hands. She said they struggled to find any winners across the court.

Lind said once things didn’t go their way, they didn’t just get on with it and let things dwell.

Cook finished with 47 goals for the Falcons.

The loss was compounded by injury concerns to co-captain Maggie Lind.

Lind, who has played limited in recent weeks, left the court in the third quarter after having treatment on her lower leg at all the breaks.

The Falcons, who are still alive due to a double chance, face a challenge they haven’t faced in a long time.

The last time the Falcons lost by more than 10 goals was in round 13 in 2022.

The loss on Wednesday night was only the third loss for the Falcons since that match and the last of those had been in round one last year.

The Falcons will face Boroondara Express for the second time in three weeks in the preliminary final.

“We will see how we regroup and see how the players take on Express,” Lind said. “The Express aren’t going to start as poorly as last week.

“It’s going to be a totally different team that we are playing, with a different attitude.”

The Falcons 23 and under side has been knocked out after a semi final loss to the Melbourne University Lightning. 64-47.

Lind said the side did well to make the top four but their inexperience shone against the Lightning, which is a pretty experienced outfit.

Digital Editions


  • Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    The Mount Players has an exciting 2026 season coming up, with the first show about to open at the Mountview Theatre. Rehearsals have been in…

More News

  • New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    Premier Jacinta Allan has toured the emergency department (ED) at the new Footscray Hospital on Tuesday morning, 24 hours before it welcomes its first patients. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas, Mental…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities…

  • Surf club claims rejected

    Surf club claims rejected

    Hobsons Bay council has denied misleading the public over how much money it has committed to the proposed redevelopment of the Williamstown Swimming and Surf Lifesaving Club (WSLSC). In a…

  • Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534279 Williamstown’s Andy Griffiths is one of Australia’s popular children’s authors with his books such as the Treehouse series and the BUM trilogy selling…

  • Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    With the new Footscray Hospital is finally set to open this week, local residents are being warned to not expect any redevelopment of the old hospital any time soon. The…

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…

  • Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Neighbourhood houses and community centres from across Hobsons Bay joined forces on Friday morning to demand increased funding for the sector. The rally was organised by Newport Community Education Centre…

  • Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534275 Maribyrnong filmmaker Stephen Packer is one of 15 finalists at Tropfest, the world’s largest short film festival, which returns for the first time…

  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence of the risk it posed…

  • Hit and run in Kingsville

    Hit and run in Kingsville

    Police are investigating a hit and run collision in Kingsville on Sunday night. Emergency services were called to Geelong Road about 7.15pm on 15 February after reports a pedestrian had…