MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Machete victim grateful for support

Machete victim grateful for support

The victim of a brutal machete attack in Altona Meadows last month has thanked the public for its support as he endures excruciating pain, regular nightmares and a lack of income.

More than $22,000 has been pledged to a GoFundMe page for Saurabh Anand who was attacked at the Central Square Shopping Centre about 8pm on July 19.

The 33-year-old Altona Meadows resident has been unable to return to his job since the attack and said money from the fundraiser was his only income.

“I don’t know where the next dollar will come from,” Mr Anand said.

“All this support from the community will help me cover medical expenses. I’m grateful and appreciate of all the efforts the community has put in to raise those funds.”

However, Mr Anand said the money donated would only go so far.

“Money doesn’t return my arm.”

Mr Anand said his arm was covered in bandages following the attack and the extent of his injuries only became clear following surgery.

“Seeing the injuries with my own eyes has just increased my trauma,” he said.

“Mentally I still feel attacked every night when I go to sleep and the pain and the trauma wakes me up every night and I’m in tears.”

Mr Anand’s mother has recently flown in from India to support him during his recovery, which his doctors estimate could take at least 12 months.

Four teens were arrested in relation to the attack, with a 14-year-old boy from the Wyndham area charged with intentionally causing serious injury, recklessly causing injury, robbery and unlawful assault and remanded to face a children’s court

Two 15-year-old boys from the Hobsons Bay area were also charged with intentionally causing serious injury, recklessly causing injury, robbery and unlawful assault and were bailed to face a children’s court, while

a 14-year-old boy from the Hobsons Bay area is expected to be charged on summons.

Investigators are continuing to search for a fifth person.

To donate: https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-the-victim-of-altona-meadows-machete-attack

Digital Editions


  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan…

More News

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Women’s history centre stage

    Women’s history centre stage

    A special one-off theatrical performance is coming to the Kyneton Town Hall in celebration of International Women’s Day. In 2026, the theme for International Women’s Day is #BalanceTheScales – a…

  • Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post is celebrating the Year of the Horse with the release of its Lunar New Year stamp as well as its first ever ‘DigiStamp’. The traditional Lunar New Year…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options are set to become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher seatbelt and distracted-driving enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are appealing for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Imperials through

    Imperials through

    Williamstown Imperials will be looking to cause an upset in the Victorian Turf Cricket Association group A T20 grand final. The Imperials, the only non-senior division side left in the…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    Star Weekly looks back on the pages of our predecessors. 40 years ago 26 February, 1986 Williamstown will not get its promised $1.2 million boat launching ramp. 30 years ago…

  • Doctor design

    Doctor design

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 Like dozens of his colleagues, Western Health anaesthetist Dr David Bramley was enjoying the spacious and modern surroundings of the new Footscray Hospital…