MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Terror raids: Seabrook man remanded in custody

Terror raids: Seabrook man remanded in custody

SEE VIDEO BELOW

UPDATE: A 23-year-old Seabrook man on Tuesday appeared in the Melbourne Magistrates Court charged with funding a US citizen to fight with a terrorist organisation in Syria.

Hassan El Sabsabi was arrested at his home after more than 100 Victoria Police and Australian Federal Police officers raided seven properties in five suburbs at 6.45am.

Search warrants were executed at homes in Seabrook, Broadmeadows, Flemington, Kealba and Meadow Heights as part of Operation Honensalzburg.

Police seized a large amount of electronic devices including computers and hard drives. 

The raids by the joint counter-terrorism team were the culmination of an eight-month investigation involving the FBI.

Australian Federal Police assistant commissioner Neil Gaughan earlier said it was alleged El Sabsabi transferred $12,000 to an American man he knew from social media and that he intended to transfer further funds.

He said police alleged he intentionally made funds available to a terrorist organisation, knowing it was a terrorist organisation.

“We will allege the organisation was a proscribed terrorist organisation,” assistant commissioner Gaughan said.

“We further allege the man provided approximately $12,000 in funds to support a US citizen currently fighting in Syria.

“We have gone earlier today [Tuesday] as we are of the view that further funds were about to be transferred to the person in Syria.

“Today was an overt action to resolve the matter.

“This is the first time in a terrorism environment that we’re aware that an Australian citizen has sponsored or paid for a citizen of another country to go into Syria or Iraq to fight.”

He stressed there was no information or intelligence to indicate El Sabsabi was involved in planning an attack.

Assistant commissioner Gaughan said the El Sabsabi was believed to have been operating by himself. The raids were not connected to Numan Haider, 18, who was shot by police outside Endeavour Hills police station after injuring two officers with a knife. 

Victoria Police deputy commissioner Graham Ashton said the raids were conducted in a “low-key manner” because there had been no threat to the community.

“This is a terrorism financing case,” he said.

“We didn’t assess there being a significant community safety risk or significant risk to our officers.”

He said no explosives, firearms or weapons were seized.

El Sabsabi made no application for bail and was remanded in custody until February 7.


Digital Editions


  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death…

More News

  • Health workers rally on new hospital

    Health workers rally on new hospital

    Thousands of striking health workers have rallied outside the new Footscray Hospital on its opening day on Wednesday, despite a personal intervention from the premier leading to a breakthrough in…

  • Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City is hoping for a smoother Victorian Premier League 2 season than the pre-season it’s had so far. Injuries have interrupted the preparation of the side under new coach…

  • Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    A magistrate has committed a man to stand trial over the rape of a grandmother more than 40 years ago. However, he has been cleared over an alleged second rape…

  • New chapter for festival

    New chapter for festival

    Lovers of literature rejoice! The Brimbank Writers and Readers Festival is returning next month for its biggest event to date. Thirty-four events will run over six days, from 12-17 March,…

  • Folk at your doorstep

    Folk at your doorstep

    Get ready for an unforgettable night of music and storytelling as the Festival of Small Halls brings world-class folk talent to Ballan next month. On Wednesday 4 March, Ballan’s Neighbourhood…

  • Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    The Mount Players has an exciting 2026 season coming up, with the first show about to open at the Mountview Theatre. Rehearsals have been in full swing as the players…

  • Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    The tiny, et very mighty, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra is making its way to the west later this month. The orchestra will present its new show Flexible Sky, starring Slava Grigoryan,…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…

  • Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Gang squad detectives have charged a man and seized drugs, cash and a knife following raids on properties in Altona and South Kingsville on Tuesday. Police will allege that upon…