MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Firefighters slam government for not keeping extra staff promise

Firefighters slam government for not keeping extra staff promise

Firefighters last week protested outside a Liberal Party post-budget dinner at a Williamstown yacht club, concerned there are not enough CFA and MFB frontline staff to ensure public safety.

On February 9, as fires burned at Morwell and parts of outer Melbourne, there were times metropolitan Melbourne was left with five fire trucks for emergency responses.

United Firefighters Union organiser Dan Hunt said MFB members from Altona, Newport and other stations chanted as politicians entered Thursday night’s function, hoping for a response from western suburbs upper house MPs Andrew Elsbury and Bernie Finn.

“I think they were pretty careful not to look at the firefighters and just drove on in,” Mr Hunt said.

He said despite the fire services levy doubling to more than $600 million, the government had failed to deliver an extra 342 CFA firefighters as promised after the 2009 bushfires or 100 MFB firefighters promised in 2010.

“The government agreed to an additional 100 MFB firefighters in 2010 and has not delivered on any of those,” Mr Hunt said. “As of now, 180 of the CFA ones have been implemented and there’s no time frame for implementing the future ones, which is a bit shocking, especially with the events of the Hazelwood mine fire.”

During the Hazelwood fire, CFA and MFB firefighters worked shifts of up to 18 hours and the government was forced to hire interstate firefighters, Mr Hunt said.

“CFA and MFB people would have been going to Hazelwood, leaving their stations empty,” he said.

While not addressing the issue of firefighter numbers, Mr Elsbury said since coming to the office in 2010, the Coalition government had provided the CFA with more than $2.29 billion and MFB more than $1.45 billion.

“The 2014-15 budget for the CFA is $457 million, which is $58 million more than under the last Labor budget,” he said.

“The 2014-15 budget for MFB is $326 million, which is $39 million more than under the last Labor budget.

“This record investment highlights the Coalition government’s strong commitment to our fire services and recognises the critical role our career and volunteer firefighters play in keeping Victorians safe.”

Digital Editions


  • Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    The Mount Players has an exciting 2026 season coming up, with the first show about to open at the Mountview Theatre. Rehearsals have been in…

More News

  • New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    Premier Jacinta Allan has toured the emergency department (ED) at the new Footscray Hospital on Tuesday morning, 24 hours before it welcomes its first patients. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas, Mental…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities…

  • Surf club claims rejected

    Surf club claims rejected

    Hobsons Bay council has denied misleading the public over how much money it has committed to the proposed redevelopment of the Williamstown Swimming and Surf Lifesaving Club (WSLSC). In a…

  • Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534279 Williamstown’s Andy Griffiths is one of Australia’s popular children’s authors with his books such as the Treehouse series and the BUM trilogy selling…

  • Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    With the new Footscray Hospital is finally set to open this week, local residents are being warned to not expect any redevelopment of the old hospital any time soon. The…

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…

  • Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Neighbourhood houses and community centres from across Hobsons Bay joined forces on Friday morning to demand increased funding for the sector. The rally was organised by Newport Community Education Centre…

  • Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534275 Maribyrnong filmmaker Stephen Packer is one of 15 finalists at Tropfest, the world’s largest short film festival, which returns for the first time…

  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence of the risk it posed…

  • Hit and run in Kingsville

    Hit and run in Kingsville

    Police are investigating a hit and run collision in Kingsville on Sunday night. Emergency services were called to Geelong Road about 7.15pm on 15 February after reports a pedestrian had…