MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » Uncategorized » Federal budget: Pensioners stress over concessions

Federal budget: Pensioners stress over concessions

Pensioners at a post-budget meeting in Altona last week expressed fears they could lose their concessions for prescription medication, power bills, rates, public transport and car registration.

Yarraville’s Bruce Light, a 77-year-old self-funded retiree who receives a modest pension top-up, said he feared being disqualified from concessions because he wasn’t on a full pension.

The federal government has cancelled its joint funding commitment for some concessions to save $1.3 billion over four years.

“Getting $100 a fortnight is not much, but it’s not the benefit I like – it’s the benefit in concessions,” Mr Light said.

“[The federal government] has now cut that out of the states, and the state’s got to pick it up. The states are not sure yet whether they’re going to pick it up or not, so that could affect me in not getting these concessions, and particularly on the medication side.”

Premier Denis Napthine said last week changes to national partnership agreements would cut $75 million in federal funding for pensioner concessions.

From July, people will pay $7 for doctor visits and out-of-hospital pathology tests.

Mr Light said that while doctor co-payments were capped, there was no word on whether pharmaceutical co-payments would also be capped.

“Up until I was about 70, I very rarely went to the doctor,” he said. “Now, I’ve just had a pacemaker fitted. Recently, it’s been quite an expense.

“Because I’ve got this benefit from qualifying for the age pension, it makes my life comfortable. Now there is talk about that being taken away.”

Mr Light said the budget should have tackled super contributions and negative gearing.

“These are well-known areas where it’s benefiting the more affluent or well-off people,” he said.

Digital Editions


  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence…

More News

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…

  • Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Smartwatches and other wearable devices are ubiquitous in the world of sport and fitness. But how accurate are their measurements when other variables are in play? That’s exactly what Deakin…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Altona’s $80 million man

    Altona’s $80 million man

    An Altona man has become Victoria’s biggest ever lottery winner by taking home the entire $80 million jackpot in Thursday’s Powerball draw. “Oh my god! Are you joking?!” the retiree…

  • Aery’s big moment

    Aery’s big moment

    At just 16, Druids’ Ira Aery is doing battle with some of the best cricketers in Australia. The teenager’s game has gone from strength to strength the past 12 months,…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…