MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Newport readers rally against a world without ‘real’ books

Newport readers rally against a world without ‘real’ books

Hobsons Bay council has agreed to consult the community after facing strong opposition to plans for a new library with no books at Newport.

The council plans to relocate the library to The Substation on April 18 while a new library is built in Mason Street.

Following the Weekly’s report about community opposition to a library based on ebooks and digital information, Hobsons Bay councillors last week voted unanimously to establish an advisory committee, including interested parties, to oversee the new library’s development.

Residents have started a Facebook page called Save Newport Library, which has about 320 members. They will hold their first meeting at 7pm tomorrow at Newport Lakes Primary School.

The page has prompted emotional stories from residents.

Former librarian Sarah Vincent said she met her husband through Hobsons Bay libraries and that when she suffered postnatal depression “there were many days when the only outing I could manage for our son was a trip to the library”. Lesley Sutherland posted that a Victorian public libraries review discussed at a February council meeting had found that: “The main reason people visit a library is to borrow a book.”

Altona Meadows mum Shelley Bernoth said she was joining the fight because a library without books was not a library.

“That’s not encouraging children to read,” she said.

“It’s taking the enjoyment out of it. The library’s there for the community – the elderly and the young people.

“Everyone I’ve spoken to wants to read the blurb, they want to actually feel the book, look at the text.

“They don’t want to order a book on the computer and wait however many days for it to be sent to their library.

“A community library should be about books and people and community.”

Strand ward’s Cr Paul Morgan likened a library with no books to a pub with no beer.

“A lot of this was decided by the officers rather than the council, so this is really one of the first opportunities to formally reject some of these plans,” he said.

Digital Editions


  • Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Neighbourhood houses and community centres from across Hobsons Bay joined forces on Friday morning to demand increased funding for the sector. The rally was organised…

More News

  • Transport strategy on the move

    Transport strategy on the move

    Hobsons Bay residents can have their say on the municipality’s transport future, with engagement open for council’s Integrated Transport Strategy 2026-36. With Hobsons Bay’s population projected to grow to 105,000…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    VFLW Williamstown has announced the signing of Mia Zielinski for the Victorian Football League women’s season. A developing key forward, Zielinski joins the Seagulls after a strong stint with the…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…

  • Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Smartwatches and other wearable devices are ubiquitous in the world of sport and fitness. But how accurate are their measurements when other variables are in play? That’s exactly what Deakin…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Altona’s $80 million man

    Altona’s $80 million man

    An Altona man has become Victoria’s biggest ever lottery winner by taking home the entire $80 million jackpot in Thursday’s Powerball draw. “Oh my god! Are you joking?!” the retiree…

  • Aery’s big moment

    Aery’s big moment

    At just 16, Druids’ Ira Aery is doing battle with some of the best cricketers in Australia. The teenager’s game has gone from strength to strength the past 12 months,…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…