MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » Uncategorized » 1100 Williamstown shipbuilding jobs under threat

1100 Williamstown shipbuilding jobs under threat

WILLIAMSTOWN’S shipyard says the jobs of up to 1100 workers are under threat unless it wins more warship contracts in the next two years.

BAE Systems this month won a short-term reprieve when Federal Defence Minister Stephen Smith announced four destroyer hull blocks would be completed at Williamstown.

The news allayed fears of heavy job losses in July, when work on a previous contract for three hulls will be finished.

But BAE maritime director Bill Saltzer said the allocation of four Air Warfare Destroyer (AWD) blocks provided only a short-term benefit.

‘‘This decision does not address the absence of naval shipbuilding work from 2015 after work is completed on the AWD blocks until at least 2020, when the SEA 5000 Future Frigate project is due to begin production.

‘‘The Williamstown shipyard is facing the very real prospect of a five-year ‘valley of death’ that must be addressed as soon as possible.

‘‘We have been discussing this issue with the federal government for the past two years to ensure it has been fully informed about the importance of ending the boom bust cycle that has characterised naval shipbuilding in Australia in the past.’’

BAE will this month start planning job reductions from 2015.

As reported by the Weekly in December, Mr Saltzer said there would be no work from 2015  when the Landing Helicopter Dock program finished unless a new contract was secured.

‘‘This valley of death has already been acknowledged in statements made by several members of the federal government,’’ he said.

Australian Manufacturing Workers Union national secretary Paul Bastion said he was deeply concerned about looming job losses.

‘‘We are very concerned and it is not restricted to Williamstown,’’ he said.

Mr Bastion said contracts earmarked in the Gillard government’s defence white paper needed to be brought forward to preserve jobs and skills in the industry.

But Defence Materiel Minister Mike Kelly said the government had to go through proper tendering processes and could not simply hand out projects to companies.

Mr Kelly said the federal government wanted to ensure a smoother flow of work for naval and maritime projects.

He said the government already had around 35 projects with BAE, worth about $6.2 billion, and had recently returned four blocks to the Williamstown shipyard

‘‘The taxpayer rightly expects that we will go through proper processes in terms of tendering and there are other companies out there who would scream if we just picked winners.’’

The white paper includes a commitment to build 12 new submarines worth at least $36 billion.

– with The Age

Digital Editions


More News

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…

  • Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Neighbourhood houses and community centres from across Hobsons Bay joined forces on Friday morning to demand increased funding for the sector. The rally was organised by Newport Community Education Centre…

  • Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534275 Maribyrnong filmmaker Stephen Packer is one of 15 finalists at Tropfest, the world’s largest short film festival, which returns for the first time…

  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence of the risk it posed…

  • Hit and run in Kingsville

    Hit and run in Kingsville

    Police are investigating a hit and run collision in Kingsville on Sunday night. Emergency services were called to Geelong Road about 7.15pm on 15 February after reports a pedestrian had…

  • Important win for A’s

    Important win for A’s

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534371 Altona got an important win in the context of its season and the finals race in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west. The…

  • Transport strategy on the move

    Transport strategy on the move

    Hobsons Bay residents can have their say on the municipality’s transport future, with engagement open for council’s Integrated Transport Strategy 2026-36. With Hobsons Bay’s population projected to grow to 105,000…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    VFLW Williamstown has announced the signing of Mia Zielinski for the Victorian Football League women’s season. A developing key forward, Zielinski joins the Seagulls after a strong stint with the…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…