MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » Uncategorized » Regional Rail Link: Holiday blues for Maribyrnong commuters

Regional Rail Link: Holiday blues for Maribyrnong commuters

THE summer schedules of thousands of Maribyrnong commuters could be thrown into chaos following the state government’s decision to intensify Regional Rail Link works over the holiday period.

Buses will replace trains on the Sydenham line between Footscray and Albion from December 28-30 and January 4-13.

V/Line services between Sunbury and Southern Cross will also be affected.

Commuter Samantha Shalders said she would avoid public transport once she returned to work in the second week of January. She said that in the past, replacement buses were less frequent, overcrowded and took much longer to arrive at destinations.

Sunshine pensioner John Kodric said he and his wife used the train at least twice a week. He said that while the inconvenience couldn’t be helped, the government must ensure there were sufficient buses to replace train services.

“A lot of the time when there are replacement buses they don’t come as often, so I just hope they run on time and are reliable,” he said.

“The whole way through this, residents have felt like they haven’t been consulted. They [government] do whatever they want and nobody cares how it affects the people who live here.”

Public Transport Minister Terry Mulder said the summer works in and around Footscray would include track installation and realignment, bridge modifications, earthworks and station upgrades.

“The construction contractors have already carried out eight scheduled passenger line shutdowns this year in order to complete major construction works,” he said.

“Replacement buses are sometimes necessary so works can be carried out safely along the rail corridor.”

Fix the Links action group spokeswoman Geraldine Brooks said the government should have sent out flyers informing residents.

Ms Brooks said a more pressing concern remained the completion of a noise management plan for construction and for when the railway line was complete.

The government said timetables for replacement buses were still being finalised. It is expected there will be delays to travel times and some passengers will need to travel on a combination of train and bus services.

For details on replacement buses, call 1800 800 007

—Melissa Cunningham

Digital Editions


More News

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…

  • Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Neighbourhood houses and community centres from across Hobsons Bay joined forces on Friday morning to demand increased funding for the sector. The rally was organised by Newport Community Education Centre…

  • Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534275 Maribyrnong filmmaker Stephen Packer is one of 15 finalists at Tropfest, the world’s largest short film festival, which returns for the first time…

  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence of the risk it posed…

  • Hit and run in Kingsville

    Hit and run in Kingsville

    Police are investigating a hit and run collision in Kingsville on Sunday night. Emergency services were called to Geelong Road about 7.15pm on 15 February after reports a pedestrian had…

  • Important win for A’s

    Important win for A’s

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534371 Altona got an important win in the context of its season and the finals race in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west. The…

  • Transport strategy on the move

    Transport strategy on the move

    Hobsons Bay residents can have their say on the municipality’s transport future, with engagement open for council’s Integrated Transport Strategy 2026-36. With Hobsons Bay’s population projected to grow to 105,000…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    VFLW Williamstown has announced the signing of Mia Zielinski for the Victorian Football League women’s season. A developing key forward, Zielinski joins the Seagulls after a strong stint with the…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…