MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » Uncategorized » Wests Road project: Applause as high-rise rejected

Wests Road project: Applause as high-rise rejected

THE future of a prime Maribyrnong development site remains in limbo after councillors unanimously rejected a proposal for a 19-storey residential complex.

A packed gallery of about 60 objectors erupted into applause at last week’s council meeting as councillors voted down the Wests Road project.

Developer JMC wanted to construct five buildings ranging from three to 19 storeys on an 8900-square-metre site at 62 Wests Road.

Most objectors live in the neighbouring Waterford Green estate.

They descended upon the meeting en masse, carrying placards and with one dressed as a cow to send a “no bull” message.

They claimed the project was out of character for the area and would set a dangerous precedent in an area already plagued by parking and traffic troubles.

Council officers had recommended approving an amended 15-storey project noting that it would be well designed and respectful of nearby residential areas.

Cr Dina Lynch said councillors supported higher-density development but not at this site.

“For high-density development to work well it requires two factors – access to open space and good public transport,” she said.

Councillors noted that the developer had worked with the council on adjusting plans but it was too risky to allow a development of this scale without better road and transport infrastructure.

The rejection follows refusal of a 271-apartment project on the same site in 2010.

JMC managing director Martin Wagg said his firm was disappointed and somewhat perplexed by the decision.

Digital Editions


  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which…

More News

  • Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    A magistrate has committed a man to stand trial over the rape of a grandmother more than 40 years ago. However, he has been cleared over an alleged second rape…

  • New chapter for festival

    New chapter for festival

    Lovers of literature rejoice! The Brimbank Writers and Readers Festival is returning next month for its biggest event to date. Thirty-four events will run over six days, from 12-17 March,…

  • Folk at your doorstep

    Folk at your doorstep

    Get ready for an unforgettable night of music and storytelling as the Festival of Small Halls brings world-class folk talent to Ballan next month. On Wednesday 4 March, Ballan’s Neighbourhood…

  • Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    The Mount Players has an exciting 2026 season coming up, with the first show about to open at the Mountview Theatre. Rehearsals have been in full swing as the players…

  • Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    The tiny, et very mighty, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra is making its way to the west later this month. The orchestra will present its new show Flexible Sky, starring Slava Grigoryan,…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…

  • Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Altona man charged after gang squad raids

    Gang squad detectives have charged a man and seized drugs, cash and a knife following raids on properties in Altona and South Kingsville on Tuesday. Police will allege that upon…

  • New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    Premier Jacinta Allan has toured the emergency department (ED) at the new Footscray Hospital on Tuesday morning, 24 hours before it welcomes its first patients. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas, Mental…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities…