MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » Uncategorized » Demands grow for paedophile priest’s Altona Meadows street name to be scrapped

Demands grow for paedophile priest’s Altona Meadows street name to be scrapped

A VICTIM of paedophile Catholic priest Victor Rubeo has come forward to praise moves to change the Altona Meadows street name that honours the man she labels a ‘‘psychopathic monster’’.

Marie, who asked that only her first name be used, said she had written to Hobsons Bay Council in a bid to find out if Rubeo Avenue was named after the priest, who she says first abused her when she was five.

In October 1996, Rubeo pleaded guilty in the Ringwood Magistrates Court to two counts of indecent assault against Tony Hersbach and his twin brother Will, committed at Laverton in 1967 when the boys were 14. 

Rubeo, 78, died last December 16, the day he was meant to front a committal hearing in the Melbourne Magistrates Court on 30 new child sex abuse charges committed against the Hersbach twins.

As reported in the previous Weekly, Point Cook woman Christine Dunsmore and her mother Jen Austin have petitioned the council to change the name of Rubeo Avenue.

Following our report, Marie from Gippsland contacted the Weekly, saying the street name had been ‘‘eating away’’ at her for years.

‘‘It filled me with horror to think that a street had been named after this heinous, barbaric, evil man.’’

Marie said she wrote to the council five years ago and again on March 26, 2010, unsuccessfully seeking confirmation that Rubeo Avenue was named after the priest.

Marie said she received a letter from Altona Laverton Historical Society on July 16, 2010, confirming that the street was named after the first Laverton parish priest.

The letter’s author, society member Ann Cassar, told the Weekly that she had no idea at the time why Marie was inquiring, but in her subsequent research she uncovered Rubeo’s paedophile activities.

Rubeo operated in the Altona-Laverton district from 1962-1973, starting as assistant at St Mary’s in Altona in 1962, becoming administrator of Queen of Peace in 1964 and acting as parish priest of St Martin dePorres from 1969-1972.

In 1999, Marie reported her abuse by Rubeo to the Melbourne Archdiocese, which continues to pay for her counselling.

‘‘Abuse with Rubeo started for me when I was about five,’’ Marie said. ‘‘It continued until 1972 when I was about nine.’’ She will be making a submission to the Victorian inquiry into the handling of child abuse by religious organisations, and to the parallel investigation by Victoria Police.

In the introduction of her submission to the inquiry, Marie states: ‘‘I am a survivor of abuse perpetrated by an organised systemic ring of Catholic priests, brothers and nuns in the state of Victoria during the 1960s to 1974.

‘‘As a survivor of clergy abuse within the Catholic Church, I’ve struggled all my life with the overwhelming, enduring and pervasive impacts and consequences of the abuse, some of which was quite sadistic in nature.

‘‘The impact of the abuse I suffered, the aberrant evil I witnessed, and the sense of betrayal, was so great, that my belief and trust in God as a child was completely annihilated.

‘‘Nothing will ever erase the deep feelings of shame I carry and the horrifying memories I have of being taken as a child, with other children to the ….. seminary and being systematically abused by seminarian priests. As a child I was told that the seminary was a place where priests learned to be priests.’’

Marie said three of her abusers were dead but some were still alive. A petition to the council has 29 signatories supporting the street’s name change — 13 from one house. 

‘‘Some residents felt very strongly about the street name being changed,’’ Ms Dunsmore said. “One resident was a victim of a child sex offender, so for her, the name of the street being changed meant so much. She was adamant that the street name be changed.’’

Of the respondents to the petition, 41per cent wanted the street name changed. Nineteen per cent did not.

Wetlands ward councillor Luba Grigorovitch said the request was ‘‘very sound and very justified’’ and she was confident there would be no resistance.

Digital Editions


  • Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    The Mount Players has an exciting 2026 season coming up, with the first show about to open at the Mountview Theatre. Rehearsals have been in…

More News

  • New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    New hospital welcomes premier before patients

    Premier Jacinta Allan has toured the emergency department (ED) at the new Footscray Hospital on Tuesday morning, 24 hours before it welcomes its first patients. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas, Mental…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities…

  • Surf club claims rejected

    Surf club claims rejected

    Hobsons Bay council has denied misleading the public over how much money it has committed to the proposed redevelopment of the Williamstown Swimming and Surf Lifesaving Club (WSLSC). In a…

  • Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Andy embarks on laureate adventure

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534279 Williamstown’s Andy Griffiths is one of Australia’s popular children’s authors with his books such as the Treehouse series and the BUM trilogy selling…

  • Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    Closure of old hospital raises questions on future

    With the new Footscray Hospital is finally set to open this week, local residents are being warned to not expect any redevelopment of the old hospital any time soon. The…

  • Bulldogs through to granny

    Bulldogs through to granny

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 449514 The dream of back-to-back Bowls Victoria weekend pennant premier division championships remains alive for Yarraville Footscray. The Bulldogs got through two tough finals…

  • Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Newport hosts neighbourhood house rally

    Neighbourhood houses and community centres from across Hobsons Bay joined forces on Friday morning to demand increased funding for the sector. The rally was organised by Newport Community Education Centre…

  • Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Maribyrnong’s film festival finalist

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534275 Maribyrnong filmmaker Stephen Packer is one of 15 finalists at Tropfest, the world’s largest short film festival, which returns for the first time…

  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence of the risk it posed…

  • Hit and run in Kingsville

    Hit and run in Kingsville

    Police are investigating a hit and run collision in Kingsville on Sunday night. Emergency services were called to Geelong Road about 7.15pm on 15 February after reports a pedestrian had…