MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » Uncategorized » Newport Timber Yard: Red flags signal of hope for protesters

Newport Timber Yard: Red flags signal of hope for protesters

NEWPORT residents are waiting to see revised plans for the former Newport Timber Yard but believe they have more clout with the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal having again shown the red flag to the developer.

Revised plans for a four-storey, 45-dwelling apartment block at 6 Paine Street were recently rejected, while the developer’s earlier proposal for a three-storey, 42-dwelling development was also refused.

Protect Newport member Anthony Simmons said that after the first win, residents phoned Domain Hill managing director Peter Cahill and offered to talk.

“We won, but we called him up to look at some alternatives and that really didn’t fly for reasons I won’t go into,” said Mr Simmons, who was one of four residents who objected.

“But this time he’s called us up and, again, we’re happy to sit down and do that [talk] but . . . until he shows such good faith. . . I just don’t want to waste my time with those sorts of things.

“Height is an issue. A lot of people are pretty firm that it should only be two storeys; that’s what the infill guidelines say it should be — that’s what it should be.

“Others may be a little more flexible, especially towards the centre [of the site].

“What people say is that if they wanted a Richmond feel, and that Richmond cramped environment [where] you can’t park in your own street . . . if they wanted that, they would live in Richmond.”

More than 200 objections were lodged against the rejected proposal.

Mr Cahill said he believed a compromise with residents could be reached. “We’re just trying to work through the design process and come up with a solution that works for everyone”.

Asked if he would scale back the development, Mr Cahill replied: “I can’t comment on anything beyond that.”

Digital Editions


  • Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    Fire sparks union tunnel concerns

    West Gate Tunnel operator Transurban has insisted it is safe to use, despite an incident last month which the firefighters union said was more evidence…

More News

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions covered…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease from…

  • Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Smartwatches and other wearable devices are ubiquitous in the world of sport and fitness. But how accurate are their measurements when other variables are in play? That’s exactly what Deakin…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a new…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Altona’s $80 million man

    Altona’s $80 million man

    An Altona man has become Victoria’s biggest ever lottery winner by taking home the entire $80 million jackpot in Thursday’s Powerball draw. “Oh my god! Are you joking?!” the retiree…

  • Aery’s big moment

    Aery’s big moment

    At just 16, Druids’ Ira Aery is doing battle with some of the best cricketers in Australia. The teenager’s game has gone from strength to strength the past 12 months,…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will receive a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…