MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » Uncategorized » ‘Aladdin’s cave’ of power tools at centre of court case

‘Aladdin’s cave’ of power tools at centre of court case

A magistrate has described a half-million dollar cache of allegedly stolen power tools discovered in Melbourne’s north west as “Aladdin’s cave”.

Sam Patto, 41, appeared in Broadmeadows Magistrates Court on Friday charged with 62 counts of handling stolen goods and one count of possessing property suspected to be the proceeds of crime.

The charges relate to 220 items found in Mr Patto’s possession and identified by their owners as being stolen from building sites and vehicles in Melbourne’s northern, western, eastern and south-eastern suburbs.

Police prosecutors allege Mr Patto bought the stolen tools – which include cordless drills, circular saws, angle grinders, nail guns, sanders, chain saws, laser levels, jigsaws, torches, radios, tool bags and a vacuum cleaner – between 2006 and 2013.

“The accused…was buying numerous power tools from what police say were known criminals and re-selling those power tools at various markets, and in particular the Laverton market,” police prosecutor sergeant Jim Currell said.

“Many of the owners of the stolen tools noted the tools located only represented a small portion of the tools that they had stolen.”

Sergeant Currell said Moreland crime investigation unit discovered about 1370 power tools and other items during searches of Mr Patto’s Broadmeadows house and a self storage unit in Tullamarine rented under his partner’s name.

Many of the tools had identifying marks and electrical test tags removed and some were labelled with prices or Mr Patto’s business name, Babylon Plastering.

Magistrate Patrick Southey described the haul as the “Aladdin’s cave of power tools.”

“I know the way tradies feel about their tools and there’s a lot of unhappy tradesmen out there,” he said.

The court heard that Mr Patto denied any knowledge of the tools being stolen.

Sergeant Currell said Mr Patto claimed he had purchased the tools at Laverton flea market and from a friend, but that it “wasn’t his job to ask where they came from”.

Sergeant Currell said Mr Patto also claimed he collected tools and did not have receipts because he paid with cash.

Police identified about $20,000 worth of goods found in searches of Mr Patto’s property as being stolen in a burglary of a plaster supplies company in Berwick in April last year.

The retail value of all the tools located in Mr Patto’s possession is estimated to be in excess of $500,000.

Sergeant Currell said the police investigation established most of the tools that could be identified by their owners mark or serial number had been reported stolen.

“It appears reasonable the remaining tools are the product of criminal activity,” he said.

“The accused appears to have been reckless in purchasing these tools and being wilfully blind at the very least.”

Mr Patto, who has no prior criminal convictions, is on bail and will reappear in court next month. 

Digital Editions


  • Faces of the west

    Faces of the west

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532699 Each week Star Weekly photographers are out and about capturing events and people across the west.

More News

  • Footscray’s day of hospital history

    Footscray’s day of hospital history

    Almost a decade since it was first announced and half a decade since it first broke ground, the new Footscray Hospital is now open. The doors of the $1.5 billion…

  • Health workers rally on new hospital

    Health workers rally on new hospital

    Thousands of striking health workers have rallied outside the new Footscray Hospital on its opening day on Wednesday, despite a personal intervention from the premier leading to a breakthrough in…

  • Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City ready for challenge

    Altona City is hoping for a smoother Victorian Premier League 2 season than the pre-season it’s had so far. Injuries have interrupted the preparation of the side under new coach…

  • Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    Man to face trial over granny’s ‘reprehensible’ rape

    A magistrate has committed a man to stand trial over the rape of a grandmother more than 40 years ago. However, he has been cleared over an alleged second rape…

  • New chapter for festival

    New chapter for festival

    Lovers of literature rejoice! The Brimbank Writers and Readers Festival is returning next month for its biggest event to date. Thirty-four events will run over six days, from 12-17 March,…

  • Folk at your doorstep

    Folk at your doorstep

    Get ready for an unforgettable night of music and storytelling as the Festival of Small Halls brings world-class folk talent to Ballan next month. On Wednesday 4 March, Ballan’s Neighbourhood…

  • Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    Mount Players kick off 2026 season

    The Mount Players has an exciting 2026 season coming up, with the first show about to open at the Mountview Theatre. Rehearsals have been in full swing as the players…

  • Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    Guitar virtuoso to take centre stage

    The tiny, et very mighty, Melbourne Chamber Orchestra is making its way to the west later this month. The orchestra will present its new show Flexible Sky, starring Slava Grigoryan,…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Health workers to strike for hospital opening

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 529470 A statewide health workers strike is threatening to overshadow the grand opening of the new Footscray Hospital on Wednesday. The $1.5 billion hospital…