MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » Uncategorized » Footscray development: Towering blast for planning minister

Footscray development: Towering blast for planning minister

Maribyrnong councillors have launched a scathing broadside on state government Planning Minister Matthew Guy over his handling of development in Footscray.

The council last week voted unanimously to reject a $280 million multi-tower development on the former Le Mans Toyota site in Footscray. But Mr Guy, who has ultimate control over the site, could approve a 795-dwelling, 24-storey Places Victoria plan without community or council input.

Mayor Catherine Cumming said the proposal joined neighbouring developments of up to 32 storeys approved by the minister in overshadowing a primary school, the Maribyrnong River and public space.

“We don’t have any appeal rights; nobody can complain here,” she said.

The council has recommended a 14-storey limit for the precinct.

Cr Sarah Carter said the council was fed up with being mistreated after trying to work with the minister for two years.

“This is a real slap in the face – he is basically taking the piss out of council,” she said.

Cr Michael Clarke said the council had been frozen out of the process yet faced a
$70 million infrastructure shortfall in a precinct slated to have more than 3000 new dwellings. “What we have here is a minister who is prepared to ride roughshod over this council,” he said. “This proposal is nothing less than an embarrassment. This submission fails to meet so many basic requirements of a building application. What a joke.”

Cr Martin Zakharov said overshadowing was being allowed over the Maribyrnong River that would never be accepted over the Yarra River.

“We have had no consultation whatsoever,” he said. “It’s an embarrassment.”

A Places Victoria spokeswoman said the site remained on the market and discussions on the proposed masterplan were continuing with the Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure.

“It is anticipated that a decision on the proposed masterplan will be provided in the coming months,” she said.

Mr Guy’s office did not respond.

Digital Editions


  • Rams to go again

    Rams to go again

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532910 Newport Rams are hoping to be better for the run after a nervous start to the Baseball Victoria…

More News

  • Women’s history centre stage

    Women’s history centre stage

    A special one-off theatrical performance is coming to the Kyneton Town Hall in celebration of International Women’s Day. In 2026, the theme for International Women’s Day is #BalanceTheScales – a…

  • Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post is celebrating the Year of the Horse with the release of its Lunar New Year stamp as well as its first ever ‘DigiStamp’. The traditional Lunar New Year…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options are set to become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher seatbelt and distracted-driving enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are appealing for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Imperials through

    Imperials through

    Williamstown Imperials will be looking to cause an upset in the Victorian Turf Cricket Association group A T20 grand final. The Imperials, the only non-senior division side left in the…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    Star Weekly looks back on the pages of our predecessors. 40 years ago 26 February, 1986 Williamstown will not get its promised $1.2 million boat launching ramp. 30 years ago…

  • Doctor design

    Doctor design

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 Like dozens of his colleagues, Western Health anaesthetist Dr David Bramley was enjoying the spacious and modern surroundings of the new Footscray Hospital…

  • Volunteer hails new hospital

    Volunteer hails new hospital

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 The new Footscray Hospital is much bigger, more modern, offers many more services and is much more conveniently located than its predecessor. But…