MARIBYRNONG & HOBSONS BAY
Home » News » Maggot found in sushi at Highpoint food court

Maggot found in sushi at Highpoint food court

Three bites into a sushi roll she had just bought and her stomach lurched to her throat.

Chloe McSaveney, 22, was staring at two halves of a maggot crawling across the crispy chicken filling, centimetres from her lips.

“I looked and saw two things wiggling around … I spat out what I had in my mouth,” she says.

At a table at Maribyrnong’s Highpoint shopping centre during a busy lunch hour last month, the university student started to splutter and panic.

When her boyfriend demanded an explanation from the shop, Sushi Sushi, staff threw the roll in the bin, and offered a refund, Ms McSaveney said.

Highpoint centre staff rushed her to the medical clinic upstairs and retrieved the infested sushi roll. It was whisked away by Maribyrnong Council health inspectors for analysis in a laboratory.

Two weeks later, the results were in – fly larvae. Maggots.

“The laboratory found a single live maggot in the sample provided,” said the council’s environmental health officer, Jonathan Brett.

“The presence of a maggot is unlikely to cause physical harm.”

Ms McSaveney said she was still reeling from emotional impact.

“The mental side of things is still affecting me now. I’m having trouble eating – I’m only eating about half of what I normally eat, and I’m struggling to be confident my food isn’t ridden with maggots.”

Ms McSaveney said she did not want the issue to be “brushed aside” and forgotten.

In a statement released on Friday Sushi Sushi general manager Paul Grixti said that in 15 years of trading they had served over 2 million portions of sushi every week through their network of 91 stores, and this was the first food safety incident they had ever had.

“Immediately after we were told of the incident, we ordered a total recall of all food products from the store concerned both cooked and uncooked,” Mr Grixti said.

“We fully understand Ms McSaveney’s concerns and we would like to stress our concern for the trauma this incident has caused.

“Even though the council’s environmental health officer has confirmed that the presence of one single maggot is highly unlikely to cause any physical harm, we are determined to take whatever steps we must to ensure this cannot happen again and customers can continue to have confidence in the safety of all our products.”

Digital Editions


  • Rams to go again

    Rams to go again

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532910 Newport Rams are hoping to be better for the run after a nervous start to the Baseball Victoria…

More News

  • Women’s history centre stage

    Women’s history centre stage

    A special one-off theatrical performance is coming to the Kyneton Town Hall in celebration of International Women’s Day. In 2026, the theme for International Women’s Day is #BalanceTheScales – a…

  • Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post is celebrating the Year of the Horse with the release of its Lunar New Year stamp as well as its first ever ‘DigiStamp’. The traditional Lunar New Year…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options are set to become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher seatbelt and distracted-driving enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are appealing for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Imperials through

    Imperials through

    Williamstown Imperials will be looking to cause an upset in the Victorian Turf Cricket Association group A T20 grand final. The Imperials, the only non-senior division side left in the…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    Star Weekly looks back on the pages of our predecessors. 40 years ago 26 February, 1986 Williamstown will not get its promised $1.2 million boat launching ramp. 30 years ago…

  • Doctor design

    Doctor design

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 Like dozens of his colleagues, Western Health anaesthetist Dr David Bramley was enjoying the spacious and modern surroundings of the new Footscray Hospital…

  • Volunteer hails new hospital

    Volunteer hails new hospital

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535233 The new Footscray Hospital is much bigger, more modern, offers many more services and is much more conveniently located than its predecessor. But…